• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Changing over to linux

Started by DeTaiLs, July 24, 2005, 05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeTaiLs

I have an old computer with windows 98, and I was thinking about putting linux on it. What do u think is the best Linux version to put on it.

K

Quote from: DeTaiLs on July 24, 2005, 05:39 PM
I have an old computer with windows 98, and I was thinking about putting linux on it. What do u think is the best Linux version to put on it.

If you've never used linux before, I would recommend Ubuntu.  It will auto-detect almost all your hardware and set everything up for you.  Plus, it provides an easy way to keep your system up to date and install new software via the synaptic front end for apt-get.

Others will probably suggest slackware, which isn't a bad choice, but for a new user I wouldn't recommend it.

Yegg

Ubuntu looks pretty interesting. I was going to suggest Mandrakelinux for a beginner. I might try Ubuntu myself.

K

Quote from: Yegg on July 24, 2005, 06:59 PM
Ubuntu looks pretty interesting. I was going to suggest Mandrakelinux for a beginner. I might try Ubuntu myself.

The only real downside I had with Ubuntu was that by default it doesn't install a lot of stuff I wanted -- emacs, gcc/g++, automake, autoconf, the development man pages, subversion, some development libraries, etc.  However, this is easily fixed with synaptic or an apt-get.

DeTaiLs

I just got done talking to my dad and if I get the old computer working he wants to use it to, so is there any other versions of linux that is user friendly or the best bet is to stick with Ubuntu.

Topaz

What would you use Linux FOR? The best OS suited for you is the one suited to your needs.

Warrior

Because ANYTHING is better than Windows 98.
Quote from: effect on March 09, 2006, 11:52 PM
Islam is a steaming pile of fucking dog shit. Everything about it is flawed, anybody who believes in it is a terrorist, if you disagree with me, then im sorry your wrong.

Quote from: Rule on May 07, 2006, 01:30 PM
Why don't you stop being American and start acting like a decent human?

Yegg

Quote from: DeTaiLs on July 24, 2005, 08:30 PM
I just got done talking to my dad and if I get the old computer working he wants to use it to, so is there any other versions of linux that is user friendly or the best bet is to stick with Ubuntu.
Mandrake Linux is said to be one of the most user-friendly distributions of Linux available.

iago

My personal favorite is Slackware.  It's not newby-friendly, but there's no better way to learn than emersing yourself in it.  And once you can use Slackware, you can use any distro.

However, I've heard a lot of good things about Gentoo.  I would recommend trying that.

Fedora and Debian make life easy by giving you the functionality of having apt-get, which automatically downloads/installs .rpm's, but Slackware has an equivilant called slapt-get, which is nearly as good :)
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Newby

Quote from: iago on July 24, 2005, 10:28 PM
My personal favorite is Slackware.  It's not newby-friendly, but there's no better way to learn than emersing yourself in it.  And once you can use Slackware, you can use any distro.

Bingo. Signed. Quoted for truth.
- Newby

Quote[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

Quote<TehUser> Man, I can't get Xorg to work properly.  This sucks.
<torque> you should probably kill yourself
<TehUser> I think I will.  Thanks, torque.

Kp

Quote from: Warrior on July 24, 2005, 09:02 PMBecause ANYTHING is better than Windows 98.

Even Windows 3.1? :)
[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!

iago

Quote from: Kp on July 26, 2005, 09:03 PM
Quote from: Warrior on July 24, 2005, 09:02 PMBecause ANYTHING is better than Windows 98.

Even Windows 3.1? :)

Sure, why not?  That's like comparing killers to rapists; at that point, who cares what's "worse"? :)
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Warrior

Well windows 3.1 didn't have as much so not as much to worry about, on the other hand windows 98
REALLY sucks
:)

Quote from: effect on March 09, 2006, 11:52 PM
Islam is a steaming pile of fucking dog shit. Everything about it is flawed, anybody who believes in it is a terrorist, if you disagree with me, then im sorry your wrong.

Quote from: Rule on May 07, 2006, 01:30 PM
Why don't you stop being American and start acting like a decent human?

MyndFyre

Quote from: Warrior on July 26, 2005, 09:29 PM
Well windows 3.1 didn't have as much so not as much to worry about, on the other hand windows 98
REALLY sucks
:)

As much as I like Win3.1 over Win98 (believe me, a LOT), it depended on DOS and himem.sys for its virtual memory space.  :P
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

shout

Quote from: mike rowe soft
with potentially catastrophic consequences.