• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Say hello to Microsoft Vista

Started by Newby, July 22, 2005, 02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iago

I don't think I'm going to get into an os that requires 3d acceleration anytime soon :)
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

shout

Quote from: Newby on July 23, 2005, 04:55 PM
Quote from: Shout on July 23, 2005, 03:54 PM
Quote from: Meh on July 23, 2005, 03:38 PM
I like it...
*Sets some cash aside*

*Clears some room on harddrive for downloaded image of disk*

You never know how badass their anti-piracy features in this OS will be! ;)

Most likely the words "Do not make illegal copies of this disc" right on the disc. I mean, its right on the disk! You have obey!

Quote from: iago on July 23, 2005, 05:34 PM
I don't think I'm going to get into an os that requires 3d acceleration anytime soon :)

It will get like 3.7 FPS on my X800.

nslay

I really don't like Microsoft, I just say learn Unix or Linux or just use Apple.  The FreeBSD ports collection consists of some 15000 ports now I believe so there are tons of workstation applictions that are similiar if not better to what is offered on Windows.  Well, I do know the ODE professor I had uses Solaris as a workstation and has done so since the mid 80s (so he says), he has a big Sun machine in his office...so it is possible to use Unix or Linux as a workstation.
I just don't like all these security problems Windows has (and Microsoft sits on a lot of them, IE still has DSO exploit) and I don't like this anti-piracy solution they have either since it sends your personal information to Microsoft (it also forces you to purchase pricey licenses to install on more machines...machines that could even belong to you).  I've heard that even Windows Media Player sends usage statistics to Microsoft...I suppose this is for their own marketing campaigns and for sale to other campaigns as well.  Really, I don't see myself using Windows at all in the near future, in fact that is my goal.