• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Alternative packet loggers

Started by Tontow, July 18, 2005, 05:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tontow

Ethereal isn't working with my 56k dialup for some reason.... 
Please, dose anyone know of anything that is free and as good as Ethereal?

R.a.B.B.i.T

iago

I'll beat Kp to the punch, because I know he'll want to suggest it:

Tcpdump
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Hdx

WPE Pro Alpha 0.9a.
Link to go with FoFo's suggestion.
~-~(HDX)~-~

Proud host of the JBLS server www.JBLS.org.
JBLS.org Status:
JBLS/BNLS Server Status

Kp

Quote from: iago on July 18, 2005, 06:14 PMI'll beat Kp to the punch, because I know he'll want to suggest it:

Tcpdump

Thanks, but I was going to suggest that he get a less sucky Internet connection. :)  Afaik, Ethereal works fine on systems that use an actual network card to be online (i.e. cable, maybe DSL).  It's only when some poor luser tries to mix antiquated technology like a modem with Ethereal that problems result. ;)
[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!

iago

Quote from: Kp on July 18, 2005, 09:05 PM
Quote from: iago on July 18, 2005, 06:14 PMI'll beat Kp to the punch, because I know he'll want to suggest it:

Tcpdump

Thanks, but I was going to suggest that he get a less sucky Internet connection. :)  Afaik, Ethereal works fine on systems that use an actual network card to be online (i.e. cable, maybe DSL).  It's only when some poor luser tries to mix antiquated technology like a modem with Ethereal that problems result. ;)

Yes, it works fine with DSL.  At least, on mine; I don't know if all DSL is the same, but mine goes through an ethernet card to the modem to the phoneline, and all works as PPPoE.  the communication up to the modem uses standard ethernet, and then it gets complicated.
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Tontow

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Quote from: Kp on July 18, 2005, 09:05 PM

I really wish I could get a faster internet connection, but I live out in the middle of nowhere and all I can get is dialup and satellite which is $100 the first month and $50 for each month after that. -- I just don't have that kind of money right now.

Archangel

i pay $100/month for a 1 mbps connection. I live in the country where the technology isnt that great :(.
I'm not an Addict.

R.a.B.B.i.T

Verizon is $20/month for 3mbps in South Jersey :\

Warrior

I feel your paid Rab :( I got that crap. Too bad they never billed me  ;)
Quote from: effect on March 09, 2006, 11:52 PM
Islam is a steaming pile of fucking dog shit. Everything about it is flawed, anybody who believes in it is a terrorist, if you disagree with me, then im sorry your wrong.

Quote from: Rule on May 07, 2006, 01:30 PM
Why don't you stop being American and start acting like a decent human?

R.a.B.B.i.T

I love Verizon.  Their service is better than AOL's $27/month 512kbps DSL.

Tontow

Umm, could someone compile Tcpdump for me please?  All I have is the Visual Basic 6 component of Microsoft visual studio 6.0.

And WPE PRO isn't working for me either; I keep getting "DLL injection failed".

Kp

Quote from: Tontow on July 19, 2005, 08:59 PMUmm, could someone compile Tcpdump for me please?

You're in luck!  I already have it compiled for my own uses, and I can send you a copy.  However, you'll need to have glibc 2.3.2 or newer in your ldpath or you might have trouble getting it to find the necessary shared objects.  If you run into problems, check /etc/ld.so.conf or set LD_LIBRARY_PATH (dangerous - not for the faint of heart).
[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!

Tontow

Aim: tontow20
email: [email protected]

I don't have glibc 2.3.2. Dose it need to be compiled too?

MyndFyre

Quote from: Tontow on July 19, 2005, 09:49 PM
Aim: tontow20
email: [email protected]

I don't have glibc 2.3.2. Dose it need to be compiled too?
And I'm pretty sure you need Linux as well.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.