• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Microsoft Buying a Spyware Company

Started by iago, July 13, 2005, 11:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iago

Microsoft is planning to buy Claria Corporation, which created the spyware that everybody loves: Gator.  It's going to help them compete with Google and Yahoo for ad revenues. 

Microsoft has also started calling Gator "moderate" and recommending that you ignore it. 

This is very shady.  I don't like it at all.

More information:
http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/340

The pre-article thing:
QuoteI don't get mad too easily, but there's one thing guaranteed to really get me steaming, and that's when someone is lying to me. Right now I'm feeling lied to, and while I could be wrong, I don't think I am. Worse, I don't think I'm the only one who's the victim here. I think virtually all of you are having your chains yanked as well.
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

MyndFyre

More and more I'm wanting *nix to work with my hardware....
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

R.a.B.B.i.T

More and more I'm wanting *nix to not nuke my HD when I install it.

nslay

Quote from: iago on July 13, 2005, 11:58 AM
Microsoft is planning to buy Claria Corporation, which created the spyware that everybody loves: Gator.  It's going to help them compete with Google and Yahoo for ad revenues. 

Microsoft has also started calling Gator "moderate" and recommending that you ignore it. 

This is very shady.  I don't like it at all.

More information:
http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/340

The pre-article thing:
QuoteI don't get mad too easily, but there's one thing guaranteed to really get me steaming, and that's when someone is lying to me. Right now I'm feeling lied to, and while I could be wrong, I don't think I am. Worse, I don't think I'm the only one who's the victim here. I think virtually all of you are having your chains yanked as well.

Time to move to Apple, Linux or Unix everybody :o

If you like Apple but you don't want to buy the costly hardware to run it...have no fear, Darwin is here, http://www.opendarwin.org/.  Darwin is the BSD Unix variant that made OS X what it is.
Or, if you're worried about hardware compatibility.  FreeBSD is probably one of the most hardware compatible Unix flavors available today. http://www.freebsd.org/.

I'm such an ass aren't I? :)

iago

I was just thinking of how funny it would be if Windows came pre-packaged with Spyware.  Ads going across the background and stuff.  That would be hilarious.

nslay

Quote from: iago on July 13, 2005, 12:33 PM
I was just thinking of how funny it would be if Windows came pre-packaged with Spyware.  Ads going across the background and stuff.  That would be hilarious.

Microsoft would use its monopoly over the market to measure usage statistics of its OS and programs that run therein.  Much like they already do with Windows Media Player, but worse.  This is one reason why I went to Unix.

This is the perfect time to show this because Microsoft is now being portrayed as a dictatorship.
Unix - Live Free Or DieYou can actually get their license plate here (I know its a little pricey for a license plate)

iago

Quote from: nslay on July 13, 2005, 12:55 PM
You can actually get their license plate here (I know its a little pricey for a license plate)

Eww, supporting Open Group! :-P

nslay

Quote from: iago on July 13, 2005, 01:09 PM
Quote from: nslay on July 13, 2005, 12:55 PM
You can actually get their license plate here (I know its a little pricey for a license plate)

Eww, supporting Open Group! :-P

It's not Open Group I'm intending to support, it's Unix :-P

Fine :'(
Buy these boxer shorts

http://www.freebsdmall.com/cgi-bin/fm/bsdboxer?id=TS9It9Bd&mv_pc=68

UserLoser.

We'll find out when Longhorn comes next year =P

Arta

This was lies btw. They're now both saying that they've decided not to go ahead. It's unclear who pulled out first :)

You're fired!
No, I quit!

muahaha

iago

Quote from: Arta[vL] on July 13, 2005, 01:23 PM
This was lies btw. They're now both saying that they've decided not to go ahead. It's unclear who pulled out first :)

Haha nice, I guess Microsoft saw the bad publicity.

But the fact that they'd consider teaming up with Spyware sucks

nslay

Quote from: iago on July 13, 2005, 01:46 PM
Quote from: Arta[vL] on July 13, 2005, 01:23 PM

Haha nice, I guess Microsoft saw the bad publicity.

But the fact that they'd consider teaming up with Spyware sucks

Let's grow some giant tarantulas

Intangir

it does
install windows 2k or XP fresh then scan for spyware, some kind of alexa spyware is preinstalled thats how www.alexa.com gets its stats
Left here since creation...
Forgotten in the river of time...

nslay

Quote from: Intangir on July 13, 2005, 03:44 PM

it does
install windows 2k or XP fresh then scan for spyware, some kind of alexa spyware is preinstalled thats how www.alexa.com gets its stats

Where can I look to manually remove it (I manually remove spyware lots).  I'd rather not install a fresh copy.