• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

TV Tuner Cards -- anyone have one?

Started by MyndFyre, July 12, 2005, 08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MyndFyre

I have access to Windows Media Center Edition and am not ever home to watch my favorite episodes of Star Trek: Deep Space 9 (I sound like a friggen commercial).  I want to be able to tape them.  Cable has autotune for me, but I want to be able to just have it run while I'm not home, and I don't have a VCR.

Does anyone know of any good, cheap TV tuner cards?  Or, anyone have a Media Center PC?
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

shout

You could use bittorrent to download them. :)

MyndFyre

Quote from: Shout on July 12, 2005, 09:37 PM
You could use bittorrent to download them. :)

I've done that before, and while that's okay, the Entire DS9 collection is over 48 DVDs.  Generally 3-4 one-hour episodes fit on one disc, and there are 48 DVDs in that collection.  If a single episode of Alias takes me one night to download (another one-hour series) and I manage to get good seeds for every show, even the old ones (esp. since DS9 is a dead series), I'll run at 192 nights.

I need a better alternative.  Spike TV has 2 episodes on per day, and 3 episodes of TNG per day.  M*A*S*H has 4 episodes per day.  It would be easy to record these if I could just plug in.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

R.a.B.B.i.T

PCWorld had a Top 10 of TV Tuner Cards a few months back.  I'll dig through my stack and see if I can find it for you.

In the meantime, I've heard good things about the ATI All-in-Wonder.  Not the cheapest cards, I'm sure, but very good.

Zorm

You can buy a Tivo for I believe around $99 or something now. With the new TivoToGo software you can download the episodes to burn them to a dvd or hack your tivo and extract them that way. It might be cheaper than buying a seperate TV Tuner card but I haven't really looked at what they cost.
"Now, gentlemen, let us do something today which the world make talk of hereafter."
- Admiral Lord Collingwood

MyndFyre

Sorry for the bump...

I ended up getting a Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150 at CompUSA.  I wasn't going to get a WinTV card because of the price ($100), but at CompUSA I picked it up because it was marked at $70.

I went to take it up, and it rang up as $100.  I said, "Whoa whoa whoa, this was marked $70."

They said it was a tag error, but since it was their error they gave it to me.  :)

Works well, too.  Today I watched an episode of DS9 while TNG was recording.  :)

Eric

Tigerdirect has them all the way from $40 to $200.

Newby

- Newby

Quote[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

Quote<TehUser> Man, I can't get Xorg to work properly.  This sucks.
<torque> you should probably kill yourself
<TehUser> I think I will.  Thanks, torque.

MyndFyre

Quote from: Newby on July 14, 2005, 08:28 PM
I've got a spare PVR-250. :)

Want to send it to me and I can still return the 150 in the next 29 days?  ;)

Newby

Quote from: MyndFyre on July 14, 2005, 09:42 PM
Quote from: Newby on July 14, 2005, 08:28 PM
I've got a spare PVR-250. :)

Want to send it to me and I can still return the 150 in the next 29 days?  ;)

Beh. I should have specified. You have to fine-tune it while it's working.

It's practically impossible to tune.

I'll get around to looking for it, and if I find it, I'll get in contact with you. ;)
- Newby

Quote[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

Quote<TehUser> Man, I can't get Xorg to work properly.  This sucks.
<torque> you should probably kill yourself
<TehUser> I think I will.  Thanks, torque.