• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Conventions

Started by R.a.B.B.i.T, July 09, 2005, 11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R.a.B.B.i.T

Specifically running out of this thread, but also from this one.  I recommend changing the xWORD notations on BnetDocs, and stating so.  A lot of people are being brainwashed into learning the wrong definitions of fundamental binary protocol terms (WORD, DWORD, etc..)

It'll be a big leap, but change is good :)

MyndFyre

Perhaps to U8, U16, U32, U64 and Sxx as appropriate for unsigned/signed?
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

R.a.B.B.i.T

That's the kind of initiative we need :)

MyndFyre

Quote from: rabbit on July 10, 2005, 12:01 AM
That's the kind of initiative we need :)

I don't mind going through all the pages and doing that (I have LOTS of free time at work), as long as the other editors are okay with it.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Arta

I'm not sure about that. I'd say that the current notation is a fairly established convention. How many people are confused by it?

R.a.B.B.i.T

It's not so much confusing as just plain wrong.  The way everything is listed now assumes that all bots are made on 16-bit platforms, and then this just gives the wrong definitions.

In essence, changing the notations to match what actually needs to be done would be fixing an assload of typos.

LivedKrad

Well, if we're going for clarity here, I'd say changing it to what is "right" would actually confuse people even more. Keeping it simple *nearly* guarantees that we're preserving BnetDocs's goal.

Eric

I agree with Arta & LK, it's a standard and changing it to anything else would only cause additional confusion.

R.a.B.B.i.T

The people who be affected the most would probably not know the difference anyway, or only be copying code.  If it was changed to be correct, anyone who knew what was going on could adapt easily.

MyndFyre

Quote from: rabbit on July 10, 2005, 10:25 AM
It's not so much confusing as just plain wrong.  The way everything is listed now assumes that all bots are made on 16-bit platforms
Not necessarily.  I've been told that a word is 16 bits on any platforms (ref: college assembly class), and that the order is this: bit (1 bit), nibble (4 bits), byte (8 bits), word (16 bits), double word (32 bits), quad word (64 bits).  Those are the conventions that I've always assumed (correctly) were in place on BnetDocs.

Arta

Og course, if/when we switch to XML, we can display the types according to the preference of the user :)

LivedKrad

Quote from: Arta[vL] on July 10, 2005, 07:20 PM
Og course, if/when we switch to XML, we can display the types according to the preference of the user :)

Og Arta says, Og.

Hdx

Quote from: Arta[vL] on July 10, 2005, 07:20 PM
*votes for this format*
I know that It's annoying to have the wrong deffinition of a word. It makes you look like a retard when your talking to someone who does know it. But considering BnetDocs has This We are good for now. But wait untill it uses XML. That would be a good feature.
~-~(HDX)~-~

Proud host of the JBLS server www.JBLS.org.
JBLS.org Status:
JBLS/BNLS Server Status

LivedKrad

Hdx

I Should say Incompleet insted.
~-~(HDX)~-~

Proud host of the JBLS server www.JBLS.org.
JBLS.org Status:
JBLS/BNLS Server Status