• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Who Keeps...............

Started by Tontow, July 04, 2005, 06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MyndFyre

Quote from: Tontow on July 05, 2005, 11:18 PM
Ah, but:
QuoteBringing your grievance to the forum is considered whining. Members of Valhalla Legends have complete discretion with respect to how they treat non-members. 

Where then, dose a non-member bring a grievance to?   Anwser: you don't, because

QuoteThe members can screw with you any way they want.

Therefor, there is nothing that I , a non-member, can do about it irregardless of the reasons or lack there of.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now then;
Is there any objection to my reposting the topic "I need Packet help"?  Or did I do something wrong in it; if I did do somthing wrong, then please tell me so that I wont repeat that mastake.

"Irregardless" isn't a word.  "Irrespective" is.  But your usage of the non-word "irregardless" means the same in context as the real word "regardless."
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Tontow

Actually, it is a word. http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Irregardless
Irregardless

adv : regardless; a combination of irrespective and regardless sometimes used humorously

Kp

Quote from: Tontow on July 05, 2005, 11:18 PMAh, but:
QuoteBringing your grievance to the forum is considered whining. Members of Valhalla Legends have complete discretion with respect to how they treat non-members.
Where then, dose a non-member bring a grievance to?   Anwser: you don't, because

That was originally written with regard to usage of the battle.net channel operated by Valhalla Legends, where non-members never managed to come up with a legitimate grievance.  Here, there are legitimate ones such as "X is posting flames with no useful content" or "X is deliberately misleading people about Y."  However, complaining that your posts vanished usually isn't considered a legitimate grievance. :)

As a general rule, if you can figure out a nice and linguistically correct way to express a problem which you think a reasonable member will take seriously, you can try posting it.  If you're just complaining about a member's action, it's almost certainly not going to go over well.  As previously noted, the bot development forum is adminstered entirely by vL leaders and members.  Complaints about members were the main reason we wrote the rule you quoted: people would get banned from our channel (which is completely within its rules), then complain that they weren't doing anything wrong.
[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!

MyndFyre

OT:

Quote from: Tontow on July 05, 2005, 11:31 PM
Actually, it is a word. http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Irregardless
Irregardless

adv : regardless; a combination of irrespective and regardless sometimes used humorously
Same link:
Usage Note: Irregardless is a word that many mistakenly believe to be correct usage in formal style, when in fact it is used chiefly in nonstandard speech or casual writing. Coined in the United States in the early 20th century, it has met with a blizzard of condemnation for being an improper yoking of irrespective and regardless and for the logical absurdity of combining the negative ir- prefix and -less suffix in a single term. Although one might reasonably argue that it is no different from words with redundant affixes like debone and unravel, it has been considered a blunder for decades and will probably continue to be so.
(Underlined emphasis my own).
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Tontow

Re OT:
Irregardless is a word that many mistakenly believe to be correct usage in formal style, when in fact it is used chiefly in nonstandard speech or casual writing. Coined in the United States in the early 20th century, it has met with a blizzard of condemnation for being an improper yoking of irrespective and regardless and for the logical absurdity of combining the negative ir- prefix and -less suffix in a single term. Although one might reasonably argue that it is no different from words with redundant affixes like debone and unravel, it has been considered a blunder for decades and will probably continue to be so.

I consider forums to be casual writeing; I didn't read anywhere that forum posts had to be in essay format. 
And even if it is considered a blunder, its still a word.  :P

Re Kp:
QuoteIf you're just complaining about a member's action, it's almost certainly not going to go over well.   As previously noted, the bot development forum is adminstered entirely by vL leaders and members.

That is exactly the point; any action, such as editing or deleting a post, is still an action.  If you complain about that action, then it is "almost certainly not going to go over well" and be called whining.

R.a.B.B.i.T

Definitions of irregardless on the Web:

* Do not use. The word is a mistaken fusion of irrespective and regardless.

* an erroneous redundancy for regardless.

* Irregardless is nonstandard. Use regardless instead.

* regardless; a combination of irrespective and regardless sometimes used humorously

(links removed (they caused errors))

That aside, "Who keeps deleteing my posts?" is whining.  You should have posted something along these lines:
QuoteI have noticed that several of my posts/replies have been deleted, and I would like to know why so as not to repeat any offenses.  Thank you.

Kp

Quote from: Tontow on July 06, 2005, 12:58 AMThat is exactly the point; any action, such as editing or deleting a post, is still an action.  If you complain about that action, then it is "almost certainly not going to go over well" and be called whining.

Fine, then stop complaining and learn to live with it.  My point was that non-deleted posts are fair game for comment (particularly if they're nothing but a flame).  You seem unwilling or unable to grasp the distinction, so just drop it, sit down, and shut up.
[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!

Archangel

I'm not an Addict.

shout