• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Implementing BNCS Utility

Started by ### Teh Gnube ###, June 25, 2005, 03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

### Teh Gnube ###

Thaaanks, that seems to have worked, maybe, every time I run the program through Visual Basic, it crashes the program... Uhhh, what's with that?

Kp

As an aside, wouldn't it be simpler to SetCurrentDirectoryW to the right place, and then use relative paths?
[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!

### Teh Gnube ###

Maybe, but what's done is done... And I need to know why this program crashes every time I run it. ANY ideas?

Error message can be found here: http://frozengaming.net/error.PNG

I SS'd it... Uhhh, yep, no clue what's going wrong here. -_-

Kp

Your VB6 install is broken? ::shrug::

Most likely, you corrupted the stack somehow.  Check the places where you modify the stack.
[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!

### Teh Gnube ###

I don't understand what you mean by "stack"... I'm newb, remember? I can compile other things just fine, it's just this one project that crashes...

Elneroth

Does it crash when you connect or right when you start up?

If it's crashing during connection make sure you call KD_Init during startup, or before you send hashes out.

Elneroth

Public Declare Function kd_init Lib "bncsutil.dll" () As Long

Archangel

Try opening the project from the main folder and not from the "Recently Opened" sometimes the project doesn't find the BNCSUtil Library.
I'm not an Addict.

MyndFyre

Learn how to debug.  Start the program, break on the first line, and step through line-by-line until you encounter the crash.

I don't know.  That seems pretty obvious to me.  But it seems like I've said that a lot lately.

Anyone want to do a debugging tutorial?  We could have language experts respectively do one for their preferred environments.

Might be a good addition to BNBDR as well -- I know it was something we had talked about some time ago.

If you want to do the debugging tutorial, contact me.  I have privacy enabled on AIM and MSN I believe, so if we haven't talked before, PM me to tell me your name on them, or PM me with your plan for the tutorial.  I can get you more specific information that way as well.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

### Teh Gnube ###

Elneroth, thank you for your solution, it was correct. I hadn't thought to call kd_init, and sure enough there was my problem!

MyndFyre

Quote from: ### Teh Gnube ### on July 05, 2005, 11:37 AM
Elneroth, thank you for your solution, it was correct. I hadn't thought to call kd_init, and sure enough there was my problem!

Now, how is that supposed to help him learn?  Next project that he starts that crashes, he's going to say, "WTF, I'm not using BNCSUtil!  Guys, how do I fix it?"  Equip people to fix their own stuff, don't enable them.

If he'd started correctly, he could have said, "My program crashes when I call this BNCSUtil routine.  What's wrong?"  THEN it would have been TRULY beneficial to tell him about kd_init.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

### Teh Gnube ###

I know it was something in BNCS utility, and I knew where it was happening, I just hadn't paid close enough attention to the BNCS module to realize I was missing that, so yes, he actually DID help me, in my eyes.

shadypalm88

Quote from: ### Teh Gnube ### on July 05, 2005, 12:24 PM
I know it was something in BNCS utility, and I knew where it was happening, I just hadn't paid close enough attention to the BNCS module to realize I was missing that, so yes, he actually DID help me, in my eyes.
Yeah, but it's a "give a man a fish" versus "teach a man to fish" type of thing.  You need to learn how to properly debug these things on your own, or at least know enough to give relevant information to people here.

Elneroth

The purpose of support forums is to either point him in the right direction or help him directly.
You guys were telling him to look at other things.
Now, I could have just said, "Check your BNCSUtil", maybe you'll end up finding what's wrong on your own some day...
No, that doesnt' really help him, and I'm sure someone else would have most likely have said something related to "Oh yeah! You need to initialize BNCSUtil."
Now if I said, check to make sure you're "Initializing" it, it would have been the same thing I said to him.

You people need to learn how to stop flaming random people all over the place. I see it in like every post I see. No flaming = half the posts wouldn't be deleted.

Anyways, what's the point of posting if you're not improving anything here?
Wow, you told me I shouldn't have helped him quite that much, did you improve anything? No. All you did was add another little number to your post count. Whatever makes you happy. The next time you need to 'tell me to stop giving away so much help',  just private message me.

You'll most likely post another low-life flame here again just to make me look stupid. But have fun, just another post being deleted.

-Elneroth

Elneroth

Alright, I appologize for that.
I was rather mad for the flaming I've been seeing lately.
I do suppose I could have taught him or let someone else do it.
And sorry, MyndFyre, I would have replied directly to your PM, but I want to appologize to whoever's dealing with this topic and not just you.

-elneroth

|