• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

SCOTUS rules that seizure of private propert for private development is ok

Started by Arta, June 24, 2005, 12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kp

Quote from: Forged on June 26, 2005, 04:00 PMnot really, roads can curve.

But they're much more efficient when they are straight.  Would you really want to try to drive 70mph on a highway that twists radically every few miles? :)
[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!

Hazard

I don't neccessarily disagree with it. This sort of thing, seizing land for public development, is only done in extreme and may I point out extremely rare cases and nearly exclusively as a last resort.

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." --John Wayne

MyndFyre

Quote from: Hazard on June 26, 2005, 06:02 PM
I don't neccessarily disagree with it. This sort of thing, seizing land for public development, is only done in extreme and may I point out extremely rare cases and nearly exclusively as a last resort.

I have to say I'm surprised that you're taking that position Hazard.

The government exists to serve the people, as well as protect people's rights.  If people are willing to sell their land to the government for public development, that's one thing.  But the government shouldn't be able to seize land for it.  They should have set aside that land earlier.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Forged

Quote from: Kp on June 26, 2005, 04:58 PM
Quote from: Forged on June 26, 2005, 04:00 PMnot really, roads can curve.

But they're much more efficient when they are straight.  Would you really want to try to drive 70mph on a highway that twists radically every few miles? :)

If the choice was between that and me losing my house then yeah.
QuoteI wish my grass was Goth so it would cut itself

CrAz3D

rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

Warrior

Quote from: effect on March 09, 2006, 11:52 PM
Islam is a steaming pile of fucking dog shit. Everything about it is flawed, anybody who believes in it is a terrorist, if you disagree with me, then im sorry your wrong.

Quote from: Rule on May 07, 2006, 01:30 PM
Why don't you stop being American and start acting like a decent human?

Hazard

The needs of the country changes. The good of the public is overruling in this case. If the government wants to seize a few acres of land for important public development, I'm okay with somebody having a smaller backyard.

MyndFyre

Quote from: Hazard on June 29, 2005, 08:18 PM
The needs of the country changes. The good of the public is overruling in this case. If the government wants to seize a few acres of land for important public development, I'm okay with somebody having a smaller backyard.

Then give up your own land, damnit, or else the government better compensate me for the time and trouble I would have to go through to move.  My time is valuable.  So is my stress.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

CrAz3D

Hotel != betterment of public!

I thought you would have more sense than that
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).

Warrior

I thought eminent domain was only useable if it was public development like a park or something, if you need to pay then it isn't public to everyone.
Quote from: effect on March 09, 2006, 11:52 PM
Islam is a steaming pile of fucking dog shit. Everything about it is flawed, anybody who believes in it is a terrorist, if you disagree with me, then im sorry your wrong.

Quote from: Rule on May 07, 2006, 01:30 PM
Why don't you stop being American and start acting like a decent human?

CrAz3D

(ré-bun-dance)

shout

This is bullshit. The state should not be able to seize then sell land. I could see if it was for a PUBLIC venue (eg Schools, Hospitals, ect), but this is just another thing bringing the U.S. closer to a facist government.

Hazard

When did I support real estate development under seizure of lands? I'm talking about hospitals and highway expansion, not a new Best Western here...

CrAz3D

The Supreme court now sees important public development as building hotels.  I thought that is what you were agreeing with
(ré-bun-dance)

Forged

I agree with you if there is no better alternative. 

I think this ruling really shows whos side our goverment is on....
QuoteI wish my grass was Goth so it would cut itself

|