• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

ANSI Standard Library

Started by Spilled, May 28, 2005, 02:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mephisto

Quote from: ColT on May 29, 2005, 01:33 PM
Didn't Microsoft buy Bjarne Stroustrup C++, and just make it better?

No.  Bjarne Stroustrup wrote the original C++ standard while working at AT&T IIRC.  It's thus been implemented to this day in a variety of different ways, but still following the guidelines of the ANSI-C++ standard which is the[/i] C++ standard!  Microsoft wrote their implementation of C++ following the ANSI-C++ standards but they also added non-ANSI-C++ standard implementations which are toggable options in the compiler settings.

Spilled[DW], the book recommends MSVC++ 6.0 IIRC.

Kp

Spilled: most of us don't have that book, so reminding us of the version isn't particularly helpful.  Just drop the code in your compiler and try it out.  If it fails, post:
  • the compiler you're using (and its version)
  • the compiler's error message(s)
  • the failed source code

At present, you've given us nothing with which to work, so we cannot provide any meaningful help to resolve the problem.
[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!

Mangix

Quote from: Mephisto on May 29, 2005, 02:52 PM
Quote from: ColT on May 29, 2005, 01:33 PM
Didn't Microsoft buy Bjarne Stroustrup C++, and just make it better?

No. Bjarne Stroustrup wrote the original C++ standard while working at AT&T IIRC. It's thus been implemented to this day in a variety of different ways, but still following the guidelines of the ANSI-C++ standard which is the[/i] C++ standard! Microsoft wrote their implementation of C++ following the ANSI-C++ standards but they also added non-ANSI-C++ standard implementations which are toggable options in the compiler settings.

Spilled[DW], the book recommends MSVC++ 6.0 IIRC.
according to Webopedia, Bjourne Stoutstrup made C++ at Bell Labs. and the original C written by Dennis Ritchie was made there as well.

@spilled:i use #include <iostream> as well with cout and cin and all the other functions that do who knows what.

and for a  good list of compilers, follow this link. http://www.cplusplus.com/info/compilers/

i personally use Bloodshed Dev-C++ but you can use w/e you want.

K

Quote from: Mangix on May 29, 2005, 04:47 PM

While we're picking at things, Dev-C++ is an IDE; you mean you use the mingw c++ compiler. ;)

Or for those of you in SAT mode,
Bloodshed Dev-C++ : Visual C++ :: mingw C++ compiler : Microsoft C++ compiler.

R.a.B.B.i.T

They got rid of analogies on the new SAT :\

Mangix

Quote from: K on May 29, 2005, 05:22 PM
While we're picking at things, Dev-C++ is an IDE
... Dev-C++ is a compiler. it can compile stuff. you must have used a really old version or have no idea what you are talking about.

btw:what do you mean SAT?

Kp

Quote from: Mangix on May 29, 2005, 09:36 PM
Quote from: K on May 29, 2005, 05:22 PMWhile we're picking at things, Dev-C++ is an IDE
... Dev-C++ is a compiler. it can compile stuff. you must have used a really old version or have no idea what you are talking about.

Actually, according to the Dev-C++ website:

QuoteBloodshed Dev-C++ is a full-featured Integrated Development Environment (IDE) for the C/C++ programming language. It uses Mingw port of GCC (GNU Compiler Collection) as it's compiler.
(emphasis,links mine)  Perhaps when you say people are misinformed, you should cite your sources.  Web sources are preferred, since we can confirm that the cited pages exist and say what you claim.

Mephisto

Quote from: K on May 29, 2005, 05:22 PM
While we're picking at things, Dev-C++ is an IDE

You clearly don't know the different between an IDE and a compiler.  An IDE is the development environment (the GUI so-to-speak) and the compiler is the program integrated into that GUI which does all the work when you hit that button that says compile.  ;)

Mangix

yes. and there is a compile button on it. do i have to send a screenshot?

Mephisto

Quote from: Mangix on May 30, 2005, 01:45 AM
yes. and there is a compile button on it. do i have to send a screenshot?

Why are you so rude/bad mannered?

effect

MANGIX SERIOUSLY, YOU ARE A FUCKING MORON x 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

MODS PLEASE LEAVE MY POST PLEASE  :'(

Mod edit: While I contemplated removing this, I have to agree. Mangix, you're an absolute moron.
Quote from: Mangix on March 22, 2005, 03:03 AM
i am an expert Stealthbot VBScript. Recognize Bitch.

Mangix

im just saying Dev-C++ can compile.

Warrior

Quote from: effect on May 30, 2005, 09:08 AM
Mod edit: While I contemplated removing this, I have to agree. Mangix, you're an absolute moron.

« Last Edit: Today at 11:14:47 by Zakath »

...LOL. Wow.
Yes, reread Mephisto's posts maybe you might be enlightened as to what an IDE/Compiler is :]
Quote from: effect on March 09, 2006, 11:52 PM
Islam is a steaming pile of fucking dog shit. Everything about it is flawed, anybody who believes in it is a terrorist, if you disagree with me, then im sorry your wrong.

Quote from: Rule on May 07, 2006, 01:30 PM
Why don't you stop being American and start acting like a decent human?

Kp

Quote from: Mangix on May 30, 2005, 01:20 PMim just saying Dev-C++ can compile.

As we've already explained several times, Dev-C++ cannot compile.  It can call CreateProcess() to run the MinGW port of the GNU C Compiler.

K

1. Check in the "settings" section of your Dev C++ IDE. See how it has an option to use either the borland c++ compiler, or the mingw c++ compiler?  These compilers are seperate programs which your IDE runs with a specified command line.  Then it checks the output of these programs and parses it to display success or error messages.

2. You'll get there in 4 or 5 years.

|