• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Fortran 77 Sockets

Started by Yegg, May 27, 2005, 10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yegg

Does anyone know if there are any Fortran library files (or other sources) that support any kind of sockets? I've been looking around for a while but the few that I found don't support Fortran 77.

Lenny

Although I don't know much about the language itself, I don't think you'll be finding anything as high level as that given it's age.  In 1977 (first appearance of Fortran 77), networking wasn't a very popular topic if it  even existed.

Might want to look into the newer standards of Fortran instead.  Not sure how active most are in using a 28 year old standard :)  There's probably a much larger dev community using the two year old standard.
The Bovine Revolution
Something unimportant

Live Battle.net:

WARNING: The preceding message may have contained content unsuitable for young children.

Yegg

I see. I still want to continue using Fotran 77 so I searched google for a while and I found Pyfort. It can convert Python files to Fortran (77), and vice versa. I was wondering if it would be possible to convert the Python socket module to Fortran 77 code. My only concern was that the Python socket module uses _ssl.pyd and _socket.pyd. I'm not sure if Pyfort would somehow translate those files or if it would read from them. Any comments?

Topaz

back them up in case of failure and try it yourself?

Yoni

Quote from: Lenny on May 28, 2005, 12:05 PM
In 1977 (first appearance of Fortran 77), networking wasn't a very popular topic if it  even existed.
The ARPANET has been up for several years already in 1977. The earliest reference I found for "Interent Protocol" is in RFC 760 - January 1980. Ethernet has been around since 1972.

</1977-isn't-the-stone-age-mode>

As for API... Berkeley sockets are from 1983. :)

Yegg

I guess I'll just switch to Fortran 95 considering 77 will be too hard to create sockets in. Plus Fortran 95 has tons of more options.