• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Console Chatbot (Sending Messages)

Started by Joe[x86], May 22, 2005, 01:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperceptus

I would honestly look into VB Express or VB.Net and do multi-threading that way.  Its muchos easier imho.
Quote from: Hazard on August 07, 2003, 03:15 PM
Highlight your entire code. Press the delete key. Start over again using Cuphead's CSB tutorial and work your way from their rather than raping code from downloaded sources meant purely for learning purposes. If this does not fix the problem, uninstall Visual Basic and get a new hobby. I suggest Cricket.

Joe[x86]

@LoRd and Warrior: Awesome! I got it working thanks to you guys! No.
Quote from: brew on April 25, 2007, 07:33 PM
that made me feel like a total idiot. this entire thing was useless.

Eric

Quote from: Joex86] link=topic=11667.msg113636#msg113636 date=1116975156]

I've provided you with all that you need short of the actual code.  If all you wanted was to steal someone elses work, you should have said so.

Since you're not willing to do any actual work, perhaps you should Google up a control that has it already done for you.

Forged

The easiest way to do it would be to make the form have a textbox and minimize it to the tray when you are not using it.  That is what I did anyway.
QuoteI wish my grass was Goth so it would cut itself

Joe[x86]

=/. Well, LoRd[nK], perhaps if MSDN wasn't so confusing, I'd be willing to do it. All their examples are in C-ish syntax, and their explinations use terms foreign to me, so no. Just no.
Quote from: brew on April 25, 2007, 07:33 PM
that made me feel like a total idiot. this entire thing was useless.

Warrior

I don't get how you can't port it..you know data types right? You know the structure of an API call right? At the bottom it tells you the library to use and everything, it's easy.
Quote from: effect on March 09, 2006, 11:52 PM
Islam is a steaming pile of fucking dog shit. Everything about it is flawed, anybody who believes in it is a terrorist, if you disagree with me, then im sorry your wrong.

Quote from: Rule on May 07, 2006, 01:30 PM
Why don't you stop being American and start acting like a decent human?

hismajesty

Indeed, the MSDN pages are done in such a way that the content can be easily translated across multiple languages.

NicoQwertyu

Quote from: Forged on May 27, 2005, 03:40 PM

The easiest way to do it would be to make the form have a textbox and minimize it to the tray when you are not using it.  That is what I did anyway.

What "form?"  He's writing a console app in VB (eww >:().

Forged

By default all vb programs still have a form, you just hide it when you launch the console.

Eric

UserLoser.

Quote from: LoRd[nK] on May 30, 2005, 07:08 PM
Quote from: Forged on May 30, 2005, 05:37 PM
By default all vb programs still have a form

No they don't.

I think he means with default VB IDE settings, when you create a new 'Standard EXE' project, it has a form already there named 'Form1'

Eric

Quote from: UserLoser on May 30, 2005, 07:34 PM

No they don't.

I think he means with default VB IDE settings, when you create a new 'Standard EXE' project, it has a form already there named 'Form1'

Yes, but you don't have to use it... or even bother to hide it; just remove it and set the program to start in main().

I don't really see a point in adding a window to a console program... you can type directly from a console and by adding a window you'd defeat the purpose of using a console at all.

NicoQwertyu

I believe what you want done can be accomplished, without creating threads, by using WaitForMultipleObjects() -- along with the console's stdin and socket's handles.

Edit: Actually, I think you'd need to use select(), because WaitForMultipleObjects doesn't allow socket descriptors.

UserLoser.

Use a message or network loop?  It's quite easily possible to 'trick' VB into executing a non-stop loop using DoEvents as a your message loop while still performing other functions.

Forged

Quote from: LoRd[nK] on May 30, 2005, 07:51 PM
Quote from: UserLoser on May 30, 2005, 07:34 PM

No they don't.

Right, but he has been stupified by your responses to his question.

Yes, but you don't have to use it... or even bother to hide it; just remove it and set the program to start in main().

I don't really see a point in adding a window to a console program... you can type directly from a console and by adding a window you'd defeat the purpose of using a console at all.

|