• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Battle.net Client on Sony PSP

Started by Deception, May 17, 2005, 02:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deception

I would like to know if anyone has any understanding of the PSP at a level in which a Battle.net client can be written for it.

PSP already has a web browser and an IRC client thanks to the underground community of developers for it.

Just imagine how cool it would be to have a Battle.net client running in your pocket thanks to PSP's WiFi capabilities.

Any comments or ideas?
- Deception of Dark Council

Warrior

I don't know if PSP can run program injected into it (assuming via USB) even if it did it can't be assumed the operating is visual basic.
Quote from: effect on March 09, 2006, 11:52 PM
Islam is a steaming pile of fucking dog shit. Everything about it is flawed, anybody who believes in it is a terrorist, if you disagree with me, then im sorry your wrong.

Quote from: Rule on May 07, 2006, 01:30 PM
Why don't you stop being American and start acting like a decent human?

iago

Well, I know I've seen my bot run on xBox.  Can PSP run Java software? :-)
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

tA-Kane

I'd be willing to bet that the best way to get the info you need would be to contact the author(s) of the web browser / IRC client.

While I have not read any technical documents on the PSP, I am fairly confident that it uses a PPC processor, meaning that Visual Basic is definitely not the right development environment, since it is (to my knowledge) designed to compile for intel-based processors.
Macintosh programmer and enthusiast.
Battle.net Bot Programming: http://www.bash.org/?240059
I can write programs. Can you right them?

http://www.clan-mac.com
http://www.eve-online.com

Newby

Comments? Sure. I think it's a stupid idea. That's just me, though.

Sounds interesting.
- Newby

Quote[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

Quote<TehUser> Man, I can't get Xorg to work properly.  This sucks.
<torque> you should probably kill yourself
<TehUser> I think I will.  Thanks, torque.

dxoigmn

The IRC "client" was just a hack. It was just a webpage that you could go to to "chat on irc." So if you could produce something like webbot with an interface to chat, then all you need to do is redirect the psp to that webpage instead of the default one it loads up.

Lenny

Well I was just about to mention what dxoigmn already has about the IRC client, it was only a webpage.

But also, I'm actually planning to make a 'webbot' that uses server resources to connect to battle.net via a servlet.  You might run into some trouble trying to find a host that supports servlet technology, especially a free one.

Btw iago, the servlet will be in Java :)

While on the topic of PSP dev, I hear its been very very difficult for the dev community to run any kind of third party software on a PSP with firmware above 1.00.
The Bovine Revolution
Something unimportant

Live Battle.net:

WARNING: The preceding message may have contained content unsuitable for young children.

Deception

So it seems to be possible, but only with the web browser?
Obviously VB applications wouldn't run on it seeing how it isn't Windows.
- Deception of Dark Council

Newby

- Newby

Quote[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

Quote<TehUser> Man, I can't get Xorg to work properly.  This sucks.
<torque> you should probably kill yourself
<TehUser> I think I will.  Thanks, torque.

Warrior

I also doubt the PSP uses *nix . It most likely uses some specially fabricated Operating system with a driver written by them or some company.

If you can get Wine to run on a PSP all the power to you.
Islam is a steaming pile of fucking dog shit. Everything about it is flawed, anybody who believes in it is a terrorist, if you disagree with me, then im sorry your wrong.

Joe[x86]

Quote from: Newby on May 17, 2005, 06:40 PM
Quote from: Deception on May 17, 2005, 06:38 PM

Visual Basic applications do not require Windows to run.

Wow, Newby refered to me as a source of information! Wtf?! Yay!

Also, that required Wine: a compatability layer of Windows. I'll experiment with a SysInfo control later to see what it really thinks its running on.

EDIT -
If you look at the timestamps, AddChat()'ing was done backwards. Don't ask me why. :(
Quote from: brew on April 25, 2007, 07:33 PM
that made me feel like a total idiot. this entire thing was useless.

Warrior

Wine translate windows API to linux API iirc. So unless the OS is linux then that won't work either.

Forged

Maybe java will make a virtual machine for it in the near future.   Then it would be easy.
QuoteI wish my grass was Goth so it would cut itself

dxoigmn

Quote from: Deception on May 18, 2005, 01:11 AM
Quote from: Newby on May 17, 2005, 06:40 PM
Quote from: Deception on May 17, 2005, 06:38 PM

Visual Basic applications do not require Windows to run.

Ok, it's not Windows and it's not a Windows emulator*

WINE stands for "Wine Is Not an Emulator." It's a compatibility layer. So Newby is still right.

Warrior

Forged: That's totally possible.