• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Lacrosse

Started by hismajesty, May 15, 2005, 09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hismajesty

Quote from: warz on May 17, 2005, 12:22 AM
Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on May 16, 2005, 07:45 PM
Nobody here plays rugby.

A mile is two and a half laps around the school track, so maybe I'll run on that. I don't know when I would though. Maybe I'll just run in place for 25 minutes, that's definitely longer than it would take to run two miles...hows that? :P

I played rugy during fall semester for a community college in Dallas. I played lacrosse in high school. Lacrosse wasn't ever as rough as rugby, IMO. I enjoyed lacrosse more, though, because I like the fact that I kinda felt lacrosse was a mix of baseball and football and soccer kinda. I was good at baseball throughout middle school, so I liked swining the nets in lacrosse. I dunno, I could flick it good. Rugby didn't come as natural. Rugby's fun though when you get to know the rules, and such. Both fun sports - play both, but if youre only choosing one I'd say lax. *shrug*

Note: Don't play either, though, if you're just trying to fit into some stereotypical prep group, or something. You probably wont want[/] to play, meaning youll suck and get hurt and quit. Most kids aren't preps (from my area, anywho), and I don't even think it's considered a preppy sport anymore. It was considered scrag here. :-P

I don't know of any place around here that offers Rugby anyway. I've always thought Lacrosse looked pretty fun, but there weren't many oppurtunities to play - it's not a big deal here at all. Most likely it will be like crew, where there isn't even tryouts.

Tuberload

Quote from: Falcon[anti-yL] on May 17, 2005, 01:23 AM
Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on May 16, 2005, 07:45 PM
Nobody here plays rugby.

A mile is two and a half laps around the school track, so maybe I'll run on that. I don't know when I would though. Maybe I'll just run in place for 25 minutes, that's definitely longer than it would take to run two miles...hows that? :P
Running on a treadmill and running outside is not the same, it is much more difficult to focus and be motivated knowing that you can stop any second. Like my track coach told me, "You can be tired, and quit right now. Or be tired, and finish this workout. You're gonna be tired either way."

Not only that but the lower extremity strengthening benefits are not as good as actual outdoor running.
Quote"Pray not for lighter burdens, but for stronger backs." -- Teddy Roosevelt
"Your forefathers have given you freedom, so good luck, see you around, hope you make it" -- Unknown

Joe[x86]

Trust, when we did weight lifting, my max bench press was the bar. Feel better, now?

EDIT -
I'm ~178 with my shirt and undergarments on, but no pants/socks/shoes/hat/etc.
Quote from: brew on April 25, 2007, 07:33 PM
that made me feel like a total idiot. this entire thing was useless.

hismajesty

hismajesty

Alright, went to the meeting. About 12-14 kids showed up, and only two had actually played lacrosse before (the girl starting this and some guy.) 4 coach people came and talked to us, they're the ones that are going to help us get this off the ground. We may have to team up with some other highschools to make enough people for a team, making us a lacrosse club. However, if we get enough interest and stuff in a year or two we may be able to get Varsity and make it a school sport. It took my schools crew team two years to make varsity.

I got a Lacrosse magazine and some literature to read and stuff, and it looks pretty fun. As long as I get my endurance, speed, etc. up I should be OK. Spring sports end in 3 weeks or so, and we're going to start just messing with sticks and stuff in June/over the summer. Apparently we're going to have a real meeting and stuff in September and then they're going to start training us and getting us ready for the Spring.

"Welcome to High School" orientation is on Monday, we're going to set a booth up.

Mitosis

Eww you can only bench the bar?

hismajesty

I think I'm gonna just buy a cheap $30 or so stick and a self training ball thing this weekend, just to mess around with. I figure this will help my stick skills in general, strengthen my wrists, and help hand eye coordination. I want to at least know how to throw the ball before we start our stuff in a month or so.

Fr0z3N

What ever you do, don't skimp on anything in lacrosse. I learned that the hard way.

hismajesty

I don't plan to. Since we're not starting real practices until Septemberish, the people that are helping us were going to let us use their sticks while we learned the basics (this is optional, too) this Spring/Summer. I just want one to mess with in the back yard, I wouldn't think of using a cheap one in a game. It would suck if it broke. :P

hismajesty

If I can get up in time (it's 12AM now, so I'm thinking like 6AMish) I'm going to go for a morning run and stuff. How long should I be able to run without stopping, or what time should I shoot for?

hismajesty

OK, so I did a pretty short run this morning and then I went to the gym for ~1.5-2 hours. My mother is the account manager for a womens gym (she sends people to get sued) and they're closed Sunday morning while the cleaning people work and stuff. She had to catch up on some paperwork so I went in with her and just worked out while she was in there. I got a pretty complete workout, but mainly focused on my lowerbody. Then I went to the grocery store, while I was there I bought healthyish stuff to eat/drink. I feel really energized now, it's good.

I can only get to the gym once a week though I think, so I'm not sure how effective that's going to be...

Edit: Also, I was weighed on the scale there...I'm ~174..which is apparently in the "normal weight" range for my height. That's good. Though, according to this website, if I go down even 10 pounds I'd be underweight. Tuberload said that I'd probably go down to 155, will that cause any health problems? :o

Fr0z3N

Only your lower body? Work on everything, you wanna put on as much weight in muscles as you can, also work on your balance, it's impossible to knock a huge, heavy guy with balance over.

hismajesty

Just mostly my lower body. I did some upper body workouts (shoulders, pectorals, back, biceps, triceps, abdominals) but most of the time it was lower body (20 minute cardio warmup was all lowerbody, obviously and then various weight machines).

Mitosis

If you work out and gain muscle you won't go down in weight.

Tuberload

Quote from: i8tweety on May 22, 2005, 12:44 PM
Only your lower body? Work on everything, you wanna put on as much weight in muscles as you can, also work on your balance, it's impossible to knock a huge, heavy guy with balance over.

What would be the benefit of adding muscle weight if he is not physically fit in the first place? He should work on muscle strength and endurance before he attempts to add mass. Especially with the limited time frame he is looking at.
Quote"Pray not for lighter burdens, but for stronger backs." -- Teddy Roosevelt
"Your forefathers have given you freedom, so good luck, see you around, hope you make it" -- Unknown

|