• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Lacrosse

Started by hismajesty, May 15, 2005, 09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hitmen

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on May 16, 2005, 02:13 PM
I also don't know how strong my wrists are, nor do I really know how to work those out...
Ahaha, too easy.

hismajesty

I thought about upping my amount of masturbation.

Mephisto

I recommend running 40's for speed and 220's for conditioning.  Run 4 220's once a day after your practice/training with roughly 30 second breaks in between each one.  Also, you can try doing things like four corners/angle persuit.  Another one we do which really helps in my opinion (requires you're in pretty good shape) is to set up a square w/ 4 corners and for one line you jog, the next sprint, the next jog, the next sprint, and repeat; run that for x minutes and increase it as time goes on and you're in better shape, quite intense.

For agility you can do things like dots where you set of 5 dots in a specific design and you have to hop on them with both feet, one foot (each), both feet and spinning around, etc.  There's a specific order in which feet you use and you generally should make it in 60 seeconds once you get good at it.  Also things like I-Drill and boxes help too.

For working out and building muscle you want to begin by conditioning your body and then reaching your maxes.  What I mean is start with the basic workouts (squat, incline, bench, hammer, power clean) and do sets of like 3x10 or 5x8 (power clean 4x5); you can also add hangclean, snatch, hangclean-snatch, clean & jerk, hammer, plyoball pushups, etc.  After doing that for 2 months or so (workout 3 times a week I would suggest) you start going for higher weight but less repetitions (you do something like 4 sets of 3, 2, 2 2+ w/ %'s of like 80, 90, 100, 105, etc.).  Then you test yourself on some unspecific day and then repeat the process building off your maxes (when you do your reps for conditioning do like 60, 70, 80%).

I'm sure your trainer (coach) will have more specific advice to the actual sport of lacrosse, I'm just giving you suggestions based on our football workouts/conditioning.  Dunno, hope I helped.  :)

hismajesty

Yeah, right now I'm more interested in getting my endurance and overall physical health up to par. I'm not going to start anything until I know when this is going to start up and stuff.

Mitosis

Always lift your max weight when training, or you won't gain muscle. Start running on the track, if you're that out of shape, run 1 lap. Next day do 2. Then once you can actually breath, run your ass off, even if your legs start to hurt you keep running and don't stop. Put it this way, if I were buy you I would be running behind you yelling and beating you with a stick to keep you going! Remember, you won't get any better if you don't push yourself. Eat lots of meat, and veggies, carbs, wheats, etc.

Btw, fyi Locrosse isn't that violent of a sport, Rugby is worse and better :)

hismajesty

Nobody here plays rugby.

A mile is two and a half laps around the school track, so maybe I'll run on that. I don't know when I would though. Maybe I'll just run in place for 25 minutes, that's definitely longer than it would take to run two miles...hows that? :P

Mephisto

Quote from: Mitosis on May 16, 2005, 07:34 PM
Always lift your max weight when training, or you won't gain muscle. Start running on the track, if you're that out of shape, run 1 lap. Next day do 2. Then once you can actually breath, run your ass off, even if your legs start to hurt you keep running and don't stop. Put it this way, if I were buy you I would be running behind you yelling and beating you with a stick to keep you going! Remember, you won't get any better if you don't push yourself. Eat lots of meat, and veggies, carbs, wheats, etc.

I disagree with lifting your maximum when working out.  You won't get as much out of it.  You need to take %'s of your max, and rep those, and do full reps and complete your sets and finish them at all costs, even if you need a spotter.  You get stronger by repping the weight, the max is just a statistic to base your rep % off of which is what gets you stronger and increases your max which in turn increases the weight on your reps as you get stronger.

hismajesty

I read a lacrosse training thing, it said to not use too much weight as you're not trying to be a body builder. Just a few sets of eight reps for muscleness.

shout

Max == One Lift == No Reps != Fitness || Strength

Isn't it one should lift 70% or something like that for increased strength and 40% for endurance? Nabeshin told me something like this...

Tuberload

I do not see why a person starting from trusts stated position would want to go into a workout like that.

Quote from: Mephisto on May 16, 2005, 07:16 PM
I recommend running 40's for speed and 220's for conditioning.  Run 4 220's once a day after your practice/training with roughly 30 second breaks in between each one. 

40 meter dashes focus on the ability to get to your top speed as fast as possible. As he stated he has not been physicaly active for some time so in my opinion he should be conditioning his muscles for general longterm physical use not momentary bests. 220's are no where near a long term muscle endurance excercise neither. 800 meter runs are still concidered sprints. Just because you can run a low 4 second 40 doesnt make you worth much if you die out halfway through the game.

QuoteAlso, you can try doing things like four corners/angle persuit.  Another one we do which really helps in my opinion (requires you're in pretty good shape) is to set up a square w/ 4 corners and for one line you jog, the next sprint, the next jog, the next sprint, and repeat; run that for x minutes and increase it as time goes on and you're in better shape, quite intense.

I do not think this is needed in the pre-training stage. He needs to focus on muscle endurance and longterm strength for now, and when he actualy becomes a part of the team the coach will focus on this sort of workout as it becomes appropriate. You're rushing things.

QuoteFor agility you can do things like dots where you set of 5 dots in a specific design and you have to hop on them with both feet, one foot (each), both feet and spinning around, etc.  There's a specific order in which feet you use and you generally should make it in 60 seeconds once you get good at it.  Also things like I-Drill and boxes help too.

Once again this should not be a focus in his current stage. His coach will implement this as needed. Focussing on how fast you can change directions is either a natural ability given to you or you do not have it. Improving your times should come after your bodies initital conditioning is complete.

QuoteFor working out and building muscle you want to begin by conditioning your body and then reaching your maxes.  What I mean is start with the basic workouts (squat, incline, bench, hammer, power clean) and do sets of like 3x10 or 5x8 (power clean 4x5); you can also add hangclean, snatch, hangclean-snatch, clean & jerk, hammer, plyoball pushups, etc.  After doing that for 2 months or so (workout 3 times a week I would suggest) you start going for higher weight but less repetitions (you do something like 4 sets of 3, 2, 2 2+ w/ %'s of like 80, 90, 100, 105, etc.).  Then you test yourself on some unspecific day and then repeat the process building off your maxes (when you do your reps for conditioning do like 60, 70, 80%).

It sounds like you're reciting things told to you personaly but other than that I wont realy disagree.  I just persoanly think he would be better off starting with a non-wieght workout consisting of pushups, situps, dip,s pullups, leglifts, etc.. before moving into wieght conditioning. By the time he is ready for weight training the workouts you suggest wouldnt be needed due to his wieghtless workouts. He could focus primarily on muscle strength and lift more for his maxes.

QuoteI'm sure your trainer (coach) will have more specific advice to the actual sport of lacrosse, I'm just giving you suggestions based on our football workouts/conditioning.  Dunno, hope I helped.  :)

It seems your coach has helped you a lot, and I hope you keep up your attitude towards physical fitness.
Quote"Pray not for lighter burdens, but for stronger backs." -- Teddy Roosevelt
"Your forefathers have given you freedom, so good luck, see you around, hope you make it" -- Unknown

Tuberload

Quote from: Mephisto on May 16, 2005, 09:33 PM
Quote from: Mitosis on May 16, 2005, 07:34 PM

I disagree with lifting your maximum when working out.  You won't get as much out of it.  You need to take %'s of your max, and rep those, and do full reps and complete your sets and finish them at all costs, even if you need a spotter.  You get stronger by repping the weight, the max is just a statistic to base your rep % off of which is what gets you stronger and increases your max which in turn increases the weight on your reps as you get stronger.

Your max strength will not increase without lifting maximum reps. You need to lift a combination of max's along with repetitions.
"Your forefathers have given you freedom, so good luck, see you around, hope you make it" -- Unknown

Mephisto

I can agree Tuberload.  I guess for once we can get along, eh?  :)

(Nevermind what I said in your "I'm back!" thread^^)

Tuberload

Quote from: Mephisto on May 16, 2005, 10:13 PM
I can agree Tuberload.  I guess for once we can get along, eh?  :)

(Nevermind what I said in your "I'm back!" thread^^)

Eh, and I didn't pay attention to it in the first place. It is amazing what can be accomplished when pride is set aside. Have a good night.

warz

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on May 16, 2005, 07:45 PM
Nobody here plays rugby.

A mile is two and a half laps around the school track, so maybe I'll run on that. I don't know when I would though. Maybe I'll just run in place for 25 minutes, that's definitely longer than it would take to run two miles...hows that? :P

I played rugy during fall semester for a community college in Dallas. I played lacrosse in high school. Lacrosse wasn't ever as rough as rugby, IMO. I enjoyed lacrosse more, though, because I like the fact that I kinda felt lacrosse was a mix of baseball and football and soccer kinda. I was good at baseball throughout middle school, so I liked swining the nets in lacrosse. I dunno, I could flick it good. Rugby didn't come as natural. Rugby's fun though when you get to know the rules, and such. Both fun sports - play both, but if youre only choosing one I'd say lax. *shrug*

Note: Don't play either, though, if you're just trying to fit into some stereotypical prep group, or something. You probably wont want[/] to play, meaning youll suck and get hurt and quit. Most kids aren't preps (from my area, anywho), and I don't even think it's considered a preppy sport anymore. It was considered scrag here. :-P

Falcon[anti-yL]

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on May 16, 2005, 07:45 PM
Nobody here plays rugby.

Running on a treadmill and running outside is not the same, it is much more difficult to focus and be motivated knowing that you can stop any second. Like my track coach told me, "You can be tired, and quit right now. Or be tired, and finish this workout. You're gonna be tired either way."

|