• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Lacrosse

Started by hismajesty, May 15, 2005, 09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hismajesty

This is off-topic everywhere else I think, but according to this forums description it is on-topic here. Hmm.

Does anybody play? There was an "interest meeting" sign posted at school the other day, and I'm really considering getting involved. I assume I'd have to train pretty hard though seeing as how I haven't played a team sport since 7th grade (4 years.) Only organized team sports I've played are: Baseball, Soccer, Volleyball. Lacrosse is apparently more physically demanding than all of those, especially baseball and volleyball. Also, apparently it's really painful due to lack of proper padding and stuff, those crazy Native Americans!

Comments in relation to rugby I guess would be decent, Mitosis. :P

Falcon[anti-yL]

Why not go for your football team?

jigsaw

did someone say rugby? welcome to my life.

Newby

We have so much in common!

I thought about going out for the lacrosse team, but since I'm taking a bunch of hard classes next year I won't have time.
- Newby

Quote[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

Quote<TehUser> Man, I can't get Xorg to work properly.  This sucks.
<torque> you should probably kill yourself
<TehUser> I think I will.  Thanks, torque.

Mephisto

We don't have lacrosse here; we have football.  Football is fun, but if your school is like mine you're going to have a hell of a year-long training routine.  :)

warz

I played lacrosse through highschool. I enjoyed it a lot. It didn't get any of the attention that football and soccer did, though. Mainly because everything we did was off campus. Meh.

hismajesty

Falcon: I'm not good at Football and I don't really like it too much except small backyard games and whatnot.

Warz: That's how it would be for me, I'm assuming it's not even going to be a _real_ team - more like a club. There isn't a lacrosse team that all the schools have so like crew we'd have to travel to whatever games and stuff. How much training did you do for it when you played? When did you start playing?

Mitosis

Quote from: jigsaw on May 15, 2005, 10:51 PM
did someone say rugby? welcome to my life.

<3's you.

Trust, Rugby is way more physical than Lacrosse...but at times Lacrosse can be brutal too. I've broken a couple fingures playing from kids smashing at me when I'm running towards the other end.

My advice, join it. It doesn't look like you play any contact sports, so this will be your first. You're a guy, don't puss out, you'l love it.

dxoigmn

Quote from: Mitosis on May 16, 2005, 06:02 AM
Trust, Rugby is way more physical than Lacrosse...but at times Lacrosse can be brutal too.

People running after people is nothing. People with sticks running after other people with sticks hurts. I heard back in the day lacrosse fields were really long (~1 mile or so by some estimates) and there was no padding. Tis a good sport.

Fr0z3N

I play lacrosse out of school. I have a game tonight actually.

Here's what I have to say, if you don't wanna get knocked around and come home with bruses/cuts don't play. Also get the right equipment, don't listen to anyone who says 'tough it out' because even with the right equipment I still come home fucked. But it's fun, it's my favourite sport and will stay that way I've been playing for about 6 years. if you have any questions, I think you know my aim sn.

Mephisto

Like any contact sport (football comes to mind) you'll come home with cuts and broozes, but you just have to get over it.  And eventually it doesn't even bug you much and you'll have a lot of practice hours and training I'm sure; For instance, in last years season practice was 3+ hours after school mon-wed and a shorter/less intense practice on thursday, game on friday, and additional conditioning/review of previous game on saturday morning and for those games/practices I must of accumulated a thousand "injuries" (non-serious) including scratches, broozes, sprains, cramps, shin splits, etc.

It's all worth it though in my opinion, there's nothing like a full contact sport.  :-)

hismajesty

Soccer is a contact sport, despite what you all say!

dxoigmn: When the Native Americans used Lacrosse to fight for land, the fields were I think 3-10 miles. Since they only had that one little ball they just hit each other with sticks.

--

My main concern is with my current physical state. I'm assuming that this meeting is to get people interested for next year, so I'd have some time to rain. I'm tall (6 foot 4ish) and pretty thin - I'm also about 25 pounds or so underweight for my height, according to some things I've read (I'm 180ish). With me not doing any sports on a regular basis for 4 years, I'm really out of shape as far as muscle/endurance I think. The meeting is Wednesday, I guess I'll find out how long I have to get ready and then that will determine whether or not I play. With me not ever playing before, it's going to be extra hard for me. I started soccer and volleyball without prior experience, but I really wasn't as in to those as baseball, which I had played since I was old enough basically.

I also don't know how strong my wrists are, nor do I really know how to work those out...

Tuberload

Do push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups, etc. Start out running about 2 miles a day 3 days a week and slowly add on to that. Keep progressing through this type of work out and it should help your body prepare.

It should only take you 3 months or so to get into good enough shape if you follow your workout correctly.

As far as your wrists, neck, knees, etc. They will strengthen as you perform activities that require a lot of joint usage. For example running is one of the best ways to prepare your lower extremities for the stress.

I like to follow a navy seal workout readily available on the Internet. I think it would be your best bet if you were out of shape. Once you get into shape you can focus more on weight lifting. This is of course just an opinion I have created over the years, do what you like.

http://www.navyseals.com/community/navyseals/navysealworkout_main.cfm

There is a beginning workout that would fit you well followed by a more advanced workout.

On a side note: I am 6 foot even and I way 180 pounds. I am not 100% sure of my body fat % but I know it is very low. I think you would be a very scrawny 6'4" at 155lbs. More than likely you will slim down to around 170lbs and be very happy with your muscle to fat ratio.
Quote"Pray not for lighter burdens, but for stronger backs." -- Teddy Roosevelt
"Your forefathers have given you freedom, so good luck, see you around, hope you make it" -- Unknown

hismajesty

hmm, does that allow time for stopping? Is it a 2 mile run/walk? :P

Tuberload

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on May 16, 2005, 05:06 PM
hmm, does that allow time for stopping? Is it a 2 mile run/walk? :P

I suppose you will have to work up to 2 miles then:)
Quote"Pray not for lighter burdens, but for stronger backs." -- Teddy Roosevelt
"Your forefathers have given you freedom, so good luck, see you around, hope you make it" -- Unknown