• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Precal Question

Started by Slaughter, April 11, 2005, 02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slaughter

Eh, problem on my homework, causing a bit of confusion.
Use mathematical induction to prove the given proerty for all positive integers n.
A factor of (2^2n-1 + 3^2n-1) is 5.
I've got this far: (2^2k-1+3^2k-1) ?= 5*m
I'm not really sure where to go from here based on knowledge of other mathematical induction proofs.

Yoni

Induction is:

Given a proposition P(n) (a proposition P that talks about an integer n), proving by induction that the proposition is TRUE for all positive integers is:

1) Proving that P(1) is true, that is, the proposition is true for n = 1.
2) Showing that P(k) => P(k + 1) for every positive integer k. That is:
2.a) Assume P(k) is true, that is, the proposition is true for n = k for some positive integer k.
2.b) Based on the assumption "2.a", prove that P(k+1) is true, that is, the proposition is true for n = k + 1.

Looks like you haven't really started. Try again...

Slaughter

Well, I skipped a couple of steps actually typing in here... I'm on the 3rd step, letting n = k+1, but I'm not sure how to set it up to actually prove the two equations are equal - from here I believe it's just algebraic, but I'm not exactly sure... Anyway:
let n=1
5 = 5
let n=k, assume true
(2^2k-1+3^2k-1)=5*n for some integer n.
let n = k+1
2^2k+1 + 4^2+1 ?= 5*M
From here, I'm not really sure where to go...let me know if I botched anything up with the above steps.
Edit: I see I had botched typing in the first post - I typed 2^2k-1 instead of 2k+1 for both.

MyndFyre

This is precalculus?  I don't think I would have gotten into stuff like this until linear algebra in college, had I stuck with engineering.

Either that, or I just don't remember it.   :o
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Yoni

Proposition:

For every positive integer n, [2^(2n - 1) + 3^(2n - 1)] / 5 = some integer.

1) Proof for n = 1:
[2^(2*1 - 1) + 3^(2*1 - 1)] / 5 = (2^1 + 3^1) / 5 = 5/5 = 1 = some integer.

2.a) Assumption for n = k:
We assume that it is true that [2^(2k - 1) + 3^(2k - 1)] / 5 = some integer.

2.b) Proof for n = k + 1:

[2^(2k + 1) + 3^(2k + 1)] / 5 = [4 * 2^(2k - 1) + 9 * 3^(2k - 1)] / 5 =
= [4 * 2^(2k - 1) + 4 * 3^(2k - 1)] / 5 + [5 * 3^(2k - 1)] / 5 =
= 4 * [2^(2k - 1) + 3^(2k - 1)] / 5 + 3^(2k - 1) =
= 4 * (some integer, by the assumption in 2.a) + 3^(2k - 1) =
= integer * integer + integer = integer.

Q.E.D.

Slaughter

Ok, thanks Yoni.

Q.E.D. = ? Maybe it's something simple, but it's meaning escapes me.

Yoni

Quod Erat Demonstrandum.

From Latin: That which was to be proven.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/QED.html

Ender

Interesting. I have a question about inductive reasoning...

Quote from: Yoni on April 11, 2005, 03:18 PM
Induction is:

Given a proposition P(n) (a proposition P that talks about an integer n), proving by induction that the proposition is TRUE for all positive integers is:

1) Proving that P(1) is true, that is, the proposition is true for n = 1.
2) Showing that P(k) => P(k + 1) for every positive integer k. That is:
2.a) Assume P(k) is true, that is, the proposition is true for n = k for some positive integer k.
2.b) Based on the assumption "2.a", prove that P(k+1) is true, that is, the proposition is true for n = k + 1.

Is the first step necessary, or is it just a quick way of saving yourself work if the claim is false? My reasoning concludes that it's not. First you make the assumption that this holds true for any positive integer k (the set of values you are testing). If P(k) is true, then so would P(k+1), and since k+1 can represent any positive integer, this in effect means that P(k) is true, where n is any positive integer. I know the rule: if a then b     then not necessarily     if b then a     but in this case this reasoning holds true since the only way that P(k+1) is true is that P(k) is also.

Yoni

Quote from: Ender on November 11, 2005, 09:42 PM
Is the first step necessary, or is it just a quick way of saving yourself work if the claim is false?
Hmm, let's leave it out and try a nice proof.

The integer sequence A(n) satisfies: A(n+1) = A(n) + 2.
Prove by induction: All the integers in the sequence are even.

1. Assume A(k) is even for some k. Then A(k+1) = A(k) + 2. Since A(k) is even and 2 is even, then so is A(k)+2, i.e. A(k+1) is even. Therefore by induction, A(n) is even for all n. Q.E.D.

Prove by induction: All the integers in the sequence are odd.

1. Assume A(k) is odd for some k. Then A(k+1) = A(k) + 2. Since A(k) is odd and 2 is even, then A(k)+2 is odd as well, i.e. A(k+1) is odd. Therefore by induction, A(n) is odd for all n. Q.E.D.