• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Browser Hijacking Help

Started by Meh, February 26, 2005, 06:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meh

I have a really annoying hijacker I cant get rid of. It loads up on opening IE and sets my homepage to about:blank. I have tried everything to get rid of it. Loads of spyware remover, Hijack This!. Couldnt delete the file which is called se.dll, so I renamed it. Loaded IE and it put another copy there. Scince then I have ddownloaded FireFox and am happy with it,  but I still want it removed. The se.dll also has a trojan atached to it. Please Help.

iago

My friend had something like that.  He spent about two months trying everything to get rid of it.  It would go away for a couple days, then return.

Finally, he formatted and reinstalled Windows from scratch.  Since then, he's never used IE, only FireFox, and the problem hasn't returned.
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Meh

I have to admit FireFox has grown on me, I dont want to wipe again, only did it a few days ago.

Mangix

hmmmmm. if you have Microsoft Anti-spy, then run a scan and it should find it. afterwards it should delete it. if it doesnt, then pay some collegge guy to fix it :P.

Meh

I decided to wipe. I didnt really want to waste my time, but a feature Length Drama came on, so i decided to do it while watching that. I did think of microsofts but it said it had to validate windows to download it to check authenticity. I didnt really like the sound of it :P

Thing

Next time get a use a real operating system and tools to fix your Windows woes.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/austrumi

The CD you can make from this is bootable and contains utilities to reset user passwords and other nifty things.
That sucking sound you hear is my bandwidth.

Meh

I am thinking about a Linux installation. Theres a copy of Suse on a Linux magazine this month. I may buy it, all though I wouldnt mind trying slackware.

Mangix

Quote from: Meh - (S-1-0-0) on February 26, 2005, 11:04 AM
I decided to wipe. I didnt really want to waste my time, but a feature Length Drama came on, so i decided to do it while watching that. I did think of microsofts but it said it had to validate windows to download it to check authenticity. I didnt really like the sound of it :P
lol dont you have the COA? i validated mine and now with ActiveX, i have access to all microsoft downloads.

iago

I hate SuSE :P

But eh, anything that isn't Windows :)

Thing

That sucking sound you hear is my bandwidth.

iago

My main problem with SuSE is that you have to pay to get useful stuff.  I know too many people who ask me how to compile (./configure, make, su, make install), and they go "Uhh, compiler not found".  What kind of crappy distro DOESN'T include gcc!?

Kp

Quote from: iago on February 27, 2005, 11:38 AM
My main problem with SuSE is that you have to pay to get useful stuff.  I know too many people who ask me how to compile (./configure, make, su, make install), and they go "Uhh, compiler not found".  What kind of crappy distro DOESN'T include gcc!?

Dunno what distro you got, but the SuSE 9.1 I installed from had gcc 3.3.1.  Maybe they just didn't install it?  IIRC, I had a great deal of flexibility in what did/didn't get installed.
[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!

iago

Perhaps it's just the default install, then.  None of the people installing it that I talked to were experienced (that's why they chose SuSE, they heard it's easier), and wouldn't have known to enable it.

Meh

Thanks, hopefully i wont have the problems again.