• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Learning C++ and Java

Started by Joe[x86], February 17, 2005, 07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe[x86]

Well, due to convincing from iago, I'm switching to Slackware. Due to the fact I've wanted to learn the C family for some time now, and BASIC isn't the first priority of Linux Compiler Writers, I'm going to learn it right now. My approach to learning is "just do it", the same way I learned VB. I'll start by doing an easy project, and go up. If theres something stopping me from getting that project done, I'll learn how to do it.

If anyone has any nice tutorials you think I'd find useful, please post links here.
Quote from: brew on April 25, 2007, 07:33 PM
that made me feel like a total idiot. this entire thing was useless.

Joe[x86]

Looks good. When I get some money on my hands I'll buy it.

ColT

Herbert Schildt is a good author, I have his " A Beginners Guide To C++ " It's very good.

K

If you're going to be writing code on a *nix system, you may also want to read some tutorials on emacs or vi as well as writing Makefiles.  emacs vs vi seems to be a religious topic, so any recomendations should be taken with a grain of salt, but I prefer emacs.

Kp

If you decide to go the vi route, I recommend Vim.  Be aware that most college professors will incorrectly state that emacs is the best text editor ever.
[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!

Arta

<offtopic>

Nano, thanks.

</offtopic>

Kp

If you're going to suggest an editor, you ought to post a link to it! :)
[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!

Joe[x86]

Well, as many of you know, iago is mailing me Slackware. Because of that, I'm automatically picking *nix, and I have two MacOS X boxes, which are Unix.

Arta

As requested: link :)

Might not be suitable for you. It's very lightweight - but that's why I like it.

Mephisto

I'm going to tryout the new fad of announcing off-topic stuff as demonstrated by Arta.  :)

<offtopic>

Don't let iago persuade you, he endorses Java; ew.

</offtopic>

shout

There should be [offtopic][/offtopic] tags.

<offtopic>

Whats wrong with java?

</offtopic>

Mephisto

Quote from: Shout on February 20, 2005, 08:55 PM

<offtopic>

Whats wrong with java?

</offtopic>

It lacks an unsigned type and access to pointers not to mention it's infurior in speed compared to real languages such as C++.  :)

Banana fanna fo fanna

Quote from: SoR-Mephisto on February 21, 2005, 07:26 PM
Quote from: Shout on February 20, 2005, 08:55 PM

<offtopic>

Whats wrong with java?

</offtopic>

It lacks an unsigned type and access to pointers not to mention it's infurior in speed compared to real languages such as C++. :)

Not to mention you have NO IDEA what you're talking about, as always.

C++ is not a language designed for what you're trying to do. If you're trying to write something low-level, you should use C, C++, or Assembler. If you're writing an application (i.e. something an end-user will use), 90% of the time something other than a so-called "real" language will be better for the task. Access to pointers sort of kills garbage collection, which is a *huge* timesaver.

Unsigned types don't matter for a lot of applications.

Speed inferiority more has to do with Swing, which, I agree, sucks.

My only complaints with Java are Swing and a horribly verbose syntax and a lot of its libraries XML overzealousness.

Mephisto

How do I not have any idea what I'm talking about?  Everything I've mentioned there is true except for the "real language" gargin which you can regard as opinionated and not fact.

Additionally, why do you say that C is not a language designed for what he wants to do?  IIRC it was originally designed to be used on *nix systems and regardless of that, he never specified what he was trying to do exactly so you couldn't make a such a comment validly IMO.