• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Wanted: Help

Started by Mitosis, February 13, 2005, 07:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mitosis

If anyone is interested in volunteering to work on my new site with me, then tell me now! Basically, it will be a resource website and have a community. This is what I have sofar.

www.dark-wire.net/sh/newd.html

Any questions just ask. Thanks.

Grok

Why not download a starter kit from asp.net?  Full source for a community portal including probably everything you could want.  Choices for other types of portals kits to find the one you like.

Go to http://www.asp.net and click on "Starter Kits" on the tabs.

Mitosis

I want to design it on my own, not use their templates. Plus I want to keep learning to make my own. I was going to in PHP, but is that the best way to go?

quasi-modo

asp.net is the most powerful thing out there ATM. The only disadvantage is that it has to run on a win server unless you use mono which only supports c#. Php is okay, but it is not as powerful as asp.net (is not compiled at runtime, lacks lang flexibility, so on and so fourth), but it will go cross platform much better than .net.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

Mitosis

Well I just started PHP, do you suggest that I stop learning? Is ASP.Net more difficult?

Meh

Generally you have to pay more for ASP whenever I have looked at it.

MyndFyre

Quote from: Meh - (S-1-0-0) on February 16, 2005, 06:34 PM

Except for 2005; however, unfortunately, 2005 isn't licensed to "go live" yet.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Grok

Quote from: Meh - (S-1-0-0) on February 16, 2005, 06:34 PM

WebMatrix is an open-source, free, community-supported ASP.NET development tool.
Download it here.

quasi-modo

You can prog with .net in any editor. It is completely free to use. The only thing that must be bought is the server os in theory. You can use mono on linux unix or mac but that is c# only. Also asp.net is easier to learn than php, I do not know php, but I can say this because asp.net has unmatched lang flexibility. If you have any progamming experience your learning curve is cut down a ton because .net can gve you the syntax you are used to.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

po0f

Quasi, do you have any experience with c#/mono on linux?

Banana fanna fo fanna

Quote from: po0f on February 17, 2005, 10:15 PM

i do. it works...but its slow.

quasi-modo

Quote from: po0f on February 17, 2005, 10:15 PM
I installed mono but I really was too lazy to play with it. But from what I hear (posted above) is that it is slow. Also other langs are not going to be coming to mono for a bit. Mono is always going to be one (or 3) step behind ms when the impliment things.
WAR EAGLE!