• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

IBM Going more opensource

Started by iago, January 12, 2005, 08:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iago

I know that IBM already produces a lot of opensource code (some students I go to school with worked on opensource IBM code for one of their workterms) -- but they're releasing a couple hundred of their patents to Open Source, which is pretty cool:
http://business.bostonherald.com/technologyNews/view.bg?articleid=63073
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

EpicOfTimeWasted

I appreciate what they're doing, but...

Quote``This will help kick-start the whole open-source community,'' said Bob Sutor, vice president of standards for IBM.

I'm sorry, but they're not kick starting anything here.

Mephisto

Isn't IBM under completly new management?  I heard they were purchased in China by some company or people...

Hitmen

Quote from: Mephisto on January 12, 2005, 01:59 PM
Isn't IBM under completly new management?  I heard they were purchased in China by some company or people...
They only sold their PC division.

Mephisto

Didn't know IBM had other things besides PCs.  :P  Unless they're still marketing OS/2?

hismajesty

Quote from: EpicOfTimeWasted on January 12, 2005, 01:12 PM

Quote``This will help kick-start the whole open-source community,'' said Bob Sutor, vice president of standards for IBM.

Not many large companies produce open source code. Sun, Microsoft (somewhat), IBM, who else?

iago

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on January 12, 2005, 02:20 PM
Quote from: EpicOfTimeWasted on January 12, 2005, 01:12 PM

Not many large companies produce open source code. Sun, Microsoft (somewhat), IBM, who else?

Sun doesn't do much opensource, and neither does Microsoft.  IBM and Netscape (or whoeve owns Netscape) are the only ones I know of.

R.a.B.B.i.T

Isn't Sun releasing Solaris to open source soon?  That's what I heard, at least.

iago

I heard they were going to, dunno about that.

I forgot, Sun backs OpenOffice, which is a large project.

quasi-modo

novell does a lot of open source stuff too. They are behind suse, and they are running mono, so on and so fourth.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

iago

Being backed by a large corperation isn't always good for opensource, though.  The corperation is a "Single point of failure" -- while most opensource stuff has an army of geeks on the Internet, any of whom could take over the project, corperate backed ones don't normally. 

But eh, any encouraging of opensource makes me happy :)

quasi-modo

Well no one owns mozilla, but their corperate backing goes towards finantial support for their small staff of full timers at mozilla hq to my knowlege.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

Banana fanna fo fanna

Quote from: Mephisto on January 12, 2005, 02:07 PM
Didn't know IBM had other things besides PCs. :P Unless they're still marketing OS/2?

uh...their pc business is miniscule compared to their real market.

j0k3r

I would like to hear(or read?) about their other business, as I'm sure mephisto would. Would you care to explain it or provide an article?
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

muert0

To lazy for slackware.