• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Video Card

Started by R.a.B.B.i.T, January 02, 2005, 12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j0k3r

It seems to be fairly unanimous that the 9800 is the way to go, or at very least the 9600. The problem with the 9600 is it will be outdated next year, followed swiftly by my 9700, while the 9800 should push past that.
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

quasi-modo

I still think the 9800 is a rip off. You can get the x600 for a bit less and it is going to outperform the 9800 according to test I have seen in various places. Also, I still like the nvidia 6 line, I would not call any of those cards shabby, but I would obviously not get the top of the line one (x600 in the x line instead of x800 for example) because the 6800 is not going to be within the budget. The trick is finding one of these new cards, which a nice ram speed, on agp8x, for a good price.

Also, when looking for a card, please do not just look at the core/core speed... look at the ram speed too... many people tend to overlook that.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

tA-Kane

im intersted in getting a tv tuner card... the ATI All-in-wonder lookds pretty decent; any comments?
Macintosh programmer and enthusiast.
Battle.net Bot Programming: http://www.bash.org/?240059
I can write programs. Can you right them?

http://www.clan-mac.com
http://www.eve-online.com

Thing

Quote from: tA-Kane on January 04, 2005, 02:20 AM
im intersted in getting a tv tuner card... the ATI All-in-wonder lookds pretty decent; any comments?
I bought this and have been running it for about 3 weeks now.  The provided drivers will not work with Win2K3 so you will need to plan ahead and download them before installation.  Some tweaks with DirectX were also necessary.  SuSE had no problem at all detecting and installing correct drivers.  If I can leave WoW alone long enough, I'm going to hook up my camcorder to it and play with that.  I am definitely going to hook it up to my 42" plasma this weekend!
That sucking sound you hear is my bandwidth.

quasi-modo

Quote from: Thing on January 04, 2005, 08:28 AM
Quote from: tA-Kane on January 04, 2005, 02:20 AM
I bought this and have been running it for about 3 weeks now.  The provided drivers will not work with Win2K3 so you will need to plan ahead and download them before installation.  Some tweaks with DirectX were also necessary.  SuSE had no problem at all detecting and installing correct drivers.  If I can leave WoW alone long enough, I'm going to hook up my camcorder to it and play with that.  I am definitely going to hook it up to my 42" plasma this weekend!
You can run wow on linux? Was it ported to linux or are you using winex?
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

Thing

No I dual boot Win3K and SuSE 9.2  Wireless Keyboard and Mouse are on the way.  No Orc will be safe with me running WoW in Full Screen mode on the plasma!
That sucking sound you hear is my bandwidth.

hismajesty

Quote from: Thing on January 04, 2005, 03:39 PM
No I dual boot Win3K and SuSE 9.2 Wireless Keyboard and Mouse are on the way. No Orc will be safe with me running WoW in Full Screen mode on the plasma!

I hope you got the MX1000! ;)

quasi-modo

Quote from: Thing on January 04, 2005, 03:39 PM
No I dual boot Win3K and SuSE 9.2  Wireless Keyboard and Mouse are on the way.  No Orc will be safe with me running WoW in Full Screen mode on the plasma!
Oh, for a minute I was thinking "humm". I need to get a copy of wineX. There was a dude at the lan party that ran just mandrake with winex. He was linux user hardcore. He played everygame we played though, his performance was insane.
WAR EAGLE!