• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Trinary Code

Started by MetaL MilitiA, December 30, 2004, 01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

K

Quote from: rabbit on February 22, 2005, 07:22 PM
Not as silly as quadrary(?) or quinary(?)!

No, quantum computing is a pretty serious area of research.  But what the original poster was suggesting was a step backwards.  There's a reason computers use digital signals instead of analog.

idoL

What if the extra information besides a 1 and 0 was used to carry a wider rage of frequencys?

Adron

Quote from: Snake on March 21, 2005, 08:09 PM
What if the extra information besides a 1 and 0 was used to carry a wider rage of frequencys?

A wider range of frequencies? What does frequency have to do with 1's and 0's? If anything, you'd have to lower your modulation speed to be able to accurately detect the other states beside 1 and 0...

MyndFyre

Quote from: Adron on March 21, 2005, 11:27 PM

A wider range of frequencies? What does frequency have to do with 1's and 0's? If anything, you'd have to lower your modulation speed to be able to accurately detect the other states beside 1 and 0...
...which is exactly the reason that we advocate binary.

In addition, by widening the modulation speed, you require more bandwidth, which could be better used by adding another parallel data bus.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

R.a.B.B.i.T

Quote from: MyndFyre on March 23, 2005, 06:03 PM
Quote from: Adron on March 21, 2005, 11:27 PM

...which is exactly the reason that we advocate binary.

In addition, by widening the modulation speed, you require more bandwidth, which could be better used by adding another parallel data bus.
Which would be a 100% increase in data transfer capability, as opposed to the 50% bonus trinary provides.

idoL

Edit nevermind, I know little on this subject.

raylu

50%?

8 binary bits = 256 possibilities
8 trinay bits = 6561 possibilities
2562.890625% times more efficient.
Pie?

Topaz

Requiring over three times the equipment and storage.

Adron

Quote from: raylu on April 29, 2005, 07:50 PM
50%?

8 binary bits = 256 possibilities
8 trinay bits = 6561 possibilities
2562.890625% times more efficient.

According to your thinking, if I have a 20.000000000 GB hard drive and someone else has a 20.000000001 GB hard drive, his hard drive will be 27487.7906944% times more efficient than mine. Does that make sense? No....

raylu

No...

If you had a 1MB hard drive in binary, and I had a 1MB hard drive in trinary, then mine would be that much more efficient.
Pie?

Adron

Quote from: raylu on April 30, 2005, 10:25 AM
No...

If you had a 1MB hard drive in binary, and I had a 1MB hard drive in trinary, then mine would be that much more efficient.

How much more efficient exactly?

Ban

Apparently 27487.7906944% so.

Arta

That's like saying a pound fo lead is heavier than a pound of feathers.

Ban

Hmm, you raise a good point. 1MB is indeed 1MB, no matter how it works.

Adron

Yes, but even if his was actually bigger in binary bits, I'm having trouble with his measure of "more efficient". If how good something is is measured in the number of possible combinations, a single trinary bit is 50% more efficient than a single binary bit, a trinary byte is 2563% more efficient than a binary, and a trinary word would be even many times more more efficient than a binary. Just like a 1 byte larger hard drive is 256 times more efficient since you can store 256 times as many combinations....

|