• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

I'm joining the army!

Started by Yoni, December 16, 2004, 01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Yoni

I am joining the army (the Israel Defense Forces) on Sunday, December 19, 2004 at 07:30 A.M. Israel time. So I wrote this mini-FAQ.

Mini-FAQ

Q: Why?!?!?!
A: Israel has a draft. Everyone joins the army except people who have certain valid excuses, which I don't. Israel is a very militaristic country, and if you don't serve in the army, society thinks negatively of you. It's somewhat like dropping out of high school in the USA.

Q: How long will you be there?
A: The basic service period for males is 3 years, but I will be serving for 4.5 years. I had to sign a committment form for 1.5 extra years to get into the position I wanted.

Q: Oh? And what's that?
A: Unfortunately I can't say that here. You'll get over it. I can say two things, though:
   1. It's not a combat unit. I'm not going to die.
   2. It will be FUN! :D

Q: So that means you'll be discharged when...?
A: June 2009, I guess.

Q: Does it pay well?
A: The obligatory 3 years don't. The voluntary 1.5 years do.

Q: Does this mean you'll never be around anymore?
A: Until April X, 2005, I will be home sometimes, but very, very rarely. From April X and on, I expect (but can't yet guarantee) that I'll come back home every day, and be home on weekends (just like a job). "X" is not yet known.

Q: Would it be accurate to say that your boot camp, starting almost immediately upon your recruitment, will be about 3 weeks long and is going to totally suck?
A: Exactly.

Q: I really miss you. How can I check what's up with you or send you a message?
A: Contact Netcooler (AIM: AsafS99, ICQ: 61917199, MSN: [email protected], email: [email protected]). He's my best friend :-* and he should always be the most up to date.

Q: Can I have a picture of you in uniform?
A: Yes. In a month or less.

Q: ...in uniform, holding a gun?
A: Maybe. I don't know. I'll try.

Q: ...holding a gun, naked?
A: No.

iago

Hmm, you were clearly answering, but I think we'd all like to know who was asking the questions, and why this question-asker wanted to see you naked.
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Netcooler

1. Who is this Netcooler guy whom you speak of?
(btw, don't ask me anything related to BNLS, I know nothing of it. I barely know what it does, so don't ask tech support - this is not what Yoni wants to hear when he contacts me)

2. iago, I believe Yoni was trying to cover the entire spectrum of vL members and guests wanting to know what's up with him. I reckon the naked gun (pun not intended) pic WOULD HAVE BEEN suggested by either hismajesty or Jigsaw (probably hismajesty).

Anything else those guys should know?

hismajesty

Good luck Yoni. Remember that you're fighting the good fight and promoting Democracy in the middle east where it is very much needed. Be sure to h4x0r Osama for us or something. ;)

How bout naked not holding a gun?

Netcooler

Yeah, how 'bout that?

/whisper to hismajesty: I'll add the gun later in Photoshop *grin*

Falcon[anti-yL]

MyndFyre

Quote from: Yoni on December 16, 2004, 01:20 PM
Q: How long will you be there?
A: The basic service period for males is 3 years, but I will be serving for 4.5 years. I had to sign a committment form for 1.5 extra years to get into the position I wanted.

Cool, cool. :)  I may run into you at some point working civvy in the US.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Mephisto

j0k3r

Quote from: Mephisto on December 16, 2004, 05:07 PM
gl don't die
Quote from: Yoni on December 16, 2004, 01:20 PM
Q: Oh? And what's that?
A: Unfortunately I can't say that here. You'll get over it. I can say two things, though:
1. It's not a combat unit. I'm not going to die.
2. It will be FUN! :D
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

God_Of_SlaYerS

That is worth the cause. Good Luck! Dont die on me ><

quasi-modo

Yoni: GOOD LUCK MAN! I support Israel's troops 100%! Go take care of some hamas members before they take out some civilians!
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

Zakath

Good luck to you Yoni. We'll all miss your zany sense of humor while you're away (and by "we" I really mean me, but I assume that my opinions are good enough for everyone else).

You're a braver man than I. I don't have it in me to join the military. Just the idea of associating myself with people whose job it is to kill people...ugh.
Quote from: iago on February 02, 2005, 03:07 PM
Yes, you can't have everybody...contributing to the main source repository.  That would be stupid and create chaos.

Opensource projects...would be dumb.

Wish

gl hf  :)

send me galil parts!

hismajesty

Quote from: Zakath on December 17, 2004, 11:10 AM
You're a braver man than I. I don't have it in me to join the military. Just the idea of associating myself with people whose job it is to kill people...ugh.

He doesn't really have a choice now does he? Israel needs every man they can get, I mean, look at the masses of people in the region that hate them.

|