• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Why do people hate Christians and Jews, but are OK with Muslims and Athiests?

Started by Banana fanna fo fanna, December 06, 2004, 06:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Hitmen

Quote from: DOOM on December 08, 2004, 02:03 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,140877,00.html

This is the kind of thing I'm talking about.  No one raises an eyebrow if a Jewish symbol is displayed publically, but don't even think about suggesting a Christian symbol.
Like the christmas trees that are already there? Commercialized to hell or not, Christmas and Christmas trees are still both representative of the Christian religion.

quasi-modo

Quote from: Forged on December 07, 2004, 11:21 PM
Quote from: quasi-modo on December 07, 2004, 07:52 PM
Quote from: Falcon[anti-yL] on December 07, 2004, 03:17 PM
Quote from: DOOM on December 07, 2004, 11:34 AM
I find it to be rather ironic that Christian symbols cannot be displayed publically, as it would violate seperation of church and state, yet it is okay for symbols of other religions to be displayed publically, as that is simply respecting "cultural diversity."
Well, things like crosses are ok, but I think you're talking about stuff like the stone tablet of the ten commandments in front of a court that was ordered to be removed.
Which is kinda retarded when you think about it because how is thalt shall not kill bad? Our country's legal system was founded on the moral codes you will find in the bible.

"I am the Lord your God who brought you out of the land of Egypt..."
"You shall have no other gods besides Me...Do not make a sculpted image or any likeness of what is in the heavens above..."
"You shalt not swear falsely by the name of the Lord..."
"Remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy"
"Honor your father and your mother..."
"You shall not murder" -
"You shall not commit adultery"
"You shall not steal"
"You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor"
"You shall not covet your neighbor's house..."

3 of those are laws, and 2 of them are the same...

And what is so bad about those? Take out the first four and it is a perfectly acceptable moral code and there is nothing religious about it.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

quasi-modo

Quote from: Hitmen on December 08, 2004, 05:49 PM

This is the kind of thing I'm talking about.  No one raises an eyebrow if a Jewish symbol is displayed publically, but don't even think about suggesting a Christian symbol.
Like the christmas trees that are already there? Commercialized to hell or not, Christmas and Christmas trees are still both representative of the Christian religion.
I fail to see a connection other then the name. Christmas trees have nothing to do with christianity or the bible. Candy canes on the other hand do. When the candy cane was invented it was supposed to be a J for Jesus. But people said lets hang it around the house as a cool little ornament and it lost that value.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

dxoigmn

Quote from: Hazard on December 06, 2004, 05:41 PM
Because in general Christians and Jews are a uniting force who do not set up a designated hierarchy, when Muslims preach men's superiority to women, Islamic persons superiority to all others, call for the destruction of the Jewish state, etc. Atheists just because people don't want to deal with the hot-bed that is atheism.

Funny because I could have sworn the bible said women were created from man and for man and the husband rules over the wife's body and the wife must be submissive, and no women is allowed to teach or have authority over man.  No hierarchy there.

dxoigmn

Quote from: quasi-modo on December 08, 2004, 06:36 PM
I fail to see a connection other then the name. Christmas trees have nothing to do with christianity or the bible. Candy canes on the other hand do. When the candy cane was invented it was supposed to be a J for Jesus. But people said lets hang it around the house as a cool little ornament and it lost that value.

Wrong.  http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/candycane.asp

hismajesty

This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. No one raises an eyebrow if a Jewish symbol is displayed publically, but don't even think about suggesting a Christian symbol.

Muslims celebrate Christmas, so do Jews. I thought this only occured in families that have a Christian for a father and a Jew/other for a mother (or vice versa.) My history teacher is married to a muslim and was telling us how muslims still put up Christmas trees and Santa still comes.

Christmas, was originally a pagean holiday. Christ wasn't really born on December 25th, that's a pretty well accepted beleif. Christmas doesn't have near as many ties to Christianity anymore I don't think, it's more about presents and lights now, sadly.

Hazard

Quote from: dxoigmn on December 09, 2004, 02:43 AM
Because in general Christians and Jews are a uniting force who do not set up a designated hierarchy, when Muslims preach men's superiority to women, Islamic persons superiority to all others, call for the destruction of the Jewish state, etc. Atheists just because people don't want to deal with the hot-bed that is atheism.

Funny because I could have sworn the bible said women were created from man and for man and the husband rules over the wife's body and the wife must be submissive, and no women is allowed to teach or have authority over man.  No hierarchy there.

You clearly haven't read the bible with an open mind and heart. It has never been church teaching that men are superior to women.

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." --John Wayne

j0k3r

Funny because I could have sworn the bible said women were created from man and for man and the husband rules over the wife's body and the wife must be submissive, and no women is allowed to teach or have authority over man. No hierarchy there.
Good job being ignorant.
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

quasi-modo

Quote from: dxoigmn on December 09, 2004, 02:44 AM
Quote from: quasi-modo on December 08, 2004, 06:36 PM

Wrong.  http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/candycane.asp
I never said it was a guy in india who made the cane a J for Jesus, I just figure some guy sometime made a J for Jesus. I see no information on that site about the origins of the Candy Cain, and I red a while back that some dude made it in the shape of a J for Jesus, so I will continue to assume that is the origin of the candy can (as if it even really mattered in every day life).
WAR EAGLE!

quasi-modo

Yeah... not really. It says that the man is supposed to love his wife like Jesus loves the church. He is supposed to serve her and she is supposed to serve him. It is to be a sacrificial love, you make sacrifices for eachother. I will get the verses if you like. Hebrews is packed full of verses about marriage and how to raise a family/children. Yes man is the head of the house hold, but that does not make the woman inferior and does not mean she has to walk behind him.
WAR EAGLE!

DOOM

I won't profess to know the history of the "Christmas tree," but I think it is safe to say that the Christmas tree is NOT on par with the cross or pictures of Jesus when it comes to saying what is a Christian symbol and what isn't.  The Christmas tree is about as representative to the religious meaning of Christmas as the Easter Bunny is to Easter.  The Christmas tree is more of just "the thing Santa Clause puts the presents under."

Yes, Christmas is a religious holiday that celebrates that birth of Jesus.  However, it is still a Federal holiday and it shouldn't be taboo to mention a Federal holiday in a public setting.  The PC crowd bitches and moans at perceived violations of seperation of church and state when they can take shots at Christianity, but I don't hear them complaining about getting Christmas day off from work, you know, since it's a Federal Holiday and all.

dxoigmn

Quote from: Hazard on December 09, 2004, 02:54 PM

You clearly haven't read the bible with an open mind and heart. It has never been church teaching that men are superior to women.

I tend to become conservative when it comes to religion.  Oh the irony!

dxoigmn

Quote from: j0k3r on December 09, 2004, 05:26 PM
Funny because I could have sworn the bible said women were created from man and for man and the husband rules over the wife's body and the wife must be submissive, and no women is allowed to teach or have authority over man. No hierarchy there.
Good job being ignorant.

Good job of breaking the forum rules.  Attack the argument not the person.

dxoigmn

Quote from: quasi-modo on December 09, 2004, 05:35 PM

Yeah... not really. It says that the man is supposed to love his wife like Jesus loves the church. He is supposed to serve her and she is supposed to serve him. It is to be a sacrificial love, you make sacrifices for eachother. I will get the verses if you like. Hebrews is packed full of verses about marriage and how to raise a family/children. Yes man is the head of the house hold, but that does not make the woman inferior and does not mean she has to walk behind him.

I guess what I'm getting at is many men will use these verses to effectively become masters of their wives as if she was a slave.  There is no denying some Christians do this.  Since the United States is predominately Christian and yet women have only been allowed to vote for some 80 years, what are we to conclude?  That the United States is not really Christian?  Or that they are half-Christian?

I don't hate, but many Christians tend to hate me for many reasons.  They hate being told the truth.

DOOM

QuoteI guess what I'm getting at is many men will use these verses to effectively become masters of their wives as if she was a slave.

And the only cases in which women are oppressed by their husbands occurs in religious households or what are we to infer here?

QuoteThere is no denying some Christians do this.

Some Muslims do this.  Some Atheists do this.  What's your point?

QuoteSince the United States is predominately Christian and yet women have only been allowed to vote for some 80 years, what are we to conclude?

I'm really not sure what we're supposed to conclude either.  Many changes in society have came about because of religious pressure.  Perhaps we should conclude that the voice of Christian love and tolerance finally became overpowering and won the rights of women.  Or maybe we shouldn't make random connections between two things without backing them up.  Keep in mind that women didn't have rights BEFORE the existence of Christianity either.  These are injustices going back thousands of years.  Also, keep in mind that not all men were originally allowed to vote in this country either.  You had to be white and you had to own property.

One of the most obvious reasons for women getting the right to vote was their tremendous contributions to the war effort during World War 1.  With men being sent off in large numbers to get machine gunned down on the front lines, women were needed in the work place, in factories and hospitals.  After the war, it was pretty hard to deny that women couldn't handle the same things that men could.  So you saw a lot of countries (not just the United States) give women the right to vote shortly after World War 1.

QuoteThat the United States is not really Christian?  Or that they are half-Christian?

Who said the United States was Christian?  It was stated that a majority of United States citizens consider themselves Christian, but that isn't the same thing.  And once again, I will point out that this largely Christian nation has given equal rights to women and minorities and ended slavery, all in less than 200 years.  Keep in mind that these injustices had been going on for thousands of years.  I'd say we've made a lot more progress and a lot faster progress than other nations in the world.

QuoteI don't hate, but many Christians tend to hate me for many reasons.  They hate being told the truth.

And what exactly is the truth?  That your knowledge of history is limited?

|