Started by iago, October 17, 2004, 03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who will or would you vote for?

Bush
Kerry
Nobody, or third party

iago

Haha @ Adron.

But how is this not a proper cross section, besides that the average intelligence on this forum is higher than the overall average?  It seems like saying that it's biased towards Kerry here means that intelligent people will vote for Kerry.
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Adron

Quote from: iago on October 18, 2004, 07:32 AM
Haha @ Adron.

But how is this not a proper cross section, besides that the average intelligence on this forum is higher than the overall average?  It seems like saying that it's biased towards Kerry here means that intelligent people will vote for Kerry.

You got my point :P

hismajesty

Bush had 11 earlier iirc, now he has 10...

muert0

Yeah,  I guess so and half the people here are underage. So you could toss them both a handicap I guess....
To lazy for slackware.

Hazard

Haha @ Adron.

I would say that the average liberal bias in this forum is higher than the overall average. You make it seem like liberals have a monopoly on the intelligence level. Check out the statistics from the 2000 election. Those with Bachelor's and Master's Degrees, as well as Doctorates, tended with the conservatives and voted Republican. Then look at the education levels that had the majority of Democratic votes. They were those who had either not completed a High School Diploma or only had a High School Diploma.

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." --John Wayne

Hazard

Quote from: Adron on October 18, 2004, 06:45 AM
Quote from: Hazard on October 18, 2004, 06:20 AM
Quote from: muert0 on October 17, 2004, 10:31 PM
The bias on a public vote??? Is that what they are going to do when the election comes. That's a silly statement.

No, the bias because of a private forum that is not representative of the American public. Plus the fact that many of the people voting are not even Americans.

Yeah, when trying to guess anything about the outcome of the real vote you'll have to take into account that opposed to many forum members, an average voter is more on the moronic side and might just vote for Bush.

They could just as easily buy into the lies produced by the Kerry/Edwards camp and vote Democrat.

iago

Quote from: Hazard on October 18, 2004, 05:19 PM
Haha @ Adron.

I would say that the average liberal bias in this forum is higher than the overall average. You make it seem like liberals have a monopoly on the intelligence level. Check out the statistics from the 2000 election. Those with Bachelor's and Master's Degrees, as well as Doctorates, tended with the conservatives and voted Republican. Then look at the education levels that had the majority of Democratic votes. They were those who had either not completed a High School Diploma or only had a High School Diploma.

I don't think you understood what I was saying, so let me clarify.

The average intelligence on this forum is above average, and the people that come here are required to be at least somewhat intelligent before being accepted.  I think we can all agree that the people here are a fairly random cross-section of intelligent computer-users.  You say that this forum is biased towards Kerry.  Therefore, intelligent people are biased towards Kerry.  No? :)
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Hazard

Quote from: iago on October 18, 2004, 06:47 PM
Quote from: Hazard on October 18, 2004, 05:19 PM
Haha @ Adron.

I don't think you understood what I was saying, so let me clarify.

The average intelligence on this forum is above average, and the people that come here are required to be at least somewhat intelligent before being accepted.  I think we can all agree that the people here are a fairly random cross-section of intelligent computer-users.  You say that this forum is biased towards Kerry.  Therefore, intelligent people are biased towards Kerry.  No? :)

No. Coincidence. Its certainly possible to have nearly an identical community that is more biased towards Bush.

quasi-modo

here is a break down:
people who have never been to college tend to vote liberal
college educated (2 & 4 year degrees) tend to vote more republican
people with masters, phd, etc tend to vote more liberal.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

Stealth

Quotean average voter is more on the moronic side and might just vote for Bush.

You cannot equate voting any direction to stupidity, it is a downright arrogant connection to make. There are plenty of total idiots on both sides, and there are plenty of very well-educated people on both sides. It sickens me when people stereotype Republican voters as idiots: my father is a Mexican immigrant with a PhD in petrochemical engineering from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. He is clearly not an idiot. He is even more conservative than I am. My friend's dad, who is a former meteorologist and now heads up one of the largest TV weather-graphics provider companies in America, is on the Air America board of directors and is a staunch liberal. He is most definitely not stupid.

Conversely, living in Madison, I have met countless liberals who have absolutely no idea what they're talking about. They're exceedingly easy to debate.
- Stealth
Author of StealthBot

Hazard

Quote from: quasi-modo on October 19, 2004, 05:15 PM
here is a break down:

Show me your figures. My textbooks say otherwise.

quasi-modo

Quote from: Hazard on October 19, 2004, 06:31 PM
Quote from: quasi-modo on October 19, 2004, 05:15 PM
here is a break down:

Show me your figures. My textbooks say otherwise.
I no longer have my ap government text book (I took the class last year) so I cant whip out its tables. How does your text book show you otherwise? What exactly does it say?

Actually this is from an outline of my ap gov book
5.   Schooling and information can affect political thinking; more educated people tend to be more liberal while less educated ones tend to be more conservative.
i.   It seems that the longer students stay in college, the more liberal they become.
ii.   This trend could be because college people's own personalities allow them to be more liberal, but it could also be because exposure to more information can shape their minds.
iii.   The level of information on a political topic is the biggest factor in one's opinions on that topic.
iv.   Another view states that colleges teach liberalism, since college professors are more liberal than people in other occupations.
v.   As more and more people attend college, this factor has become more important, but experts largely agree that colleges today are more conservative than colleges of the past; also, how long college affects political thought can depend on a huge variety of reasons.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

Hazard

Interesting outline, I'm sure thats word for word from your textbook. I'm sure its in your own interpretation.

My American Government textbook provides the statistics in table form based on the results of the 2000 election.

quasi-modo

Quote from: Hazard on October 19, 2004, 09:00 PM
Interesting outline, I'm sure thats word for word from your textbook. I'm sure its in your own interpretation.

My American Government textbook provides the statistics in table form based on the results of the 2000 election.
Uhh that is from an outline of the book that a professor wrote. The publisher's outline says about the same thing, but I used this guys outlines because they were a bit more detailed. The book is American Government from McDougal Littel.

Ps: it is not word for word with the text book, if it were that outline would no longer be an outline... it would be the book. It is not exactly my interpretation or my teacher's either. Like I said: uneducated tend to go liberal, more educated tend to go conservative, those who stay in college for a long time to get the higher degrees tend to be liberal.
WAR EAGLE!

Hitmen

This election is kind of like the special olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded.

|