Previous topic - Next topic
|

Yoni

Limit[Log[n!]/(n Log[n]), n -> Infinity]

muert0

To lazy for slackware.

Dyndrilliac

Splt() = Split(sInput, Space(1), 1)
Quote from: Edsger W. DijkstraIt is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC; as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

hismajesty

Title of Article: U.K. Hostage Pleads for Help; Clashes in Baghdad
Source of Article: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,133900,00.html
Date of Article: Wednesday, September 29, 2004
Geography:
   City: Baghdad
   Capital: Baghdad
   Continent: Asia
   Surrounding Countries: Jordan, Iran, Syria

Summary: Kenneth Bigley, sitting in chains on atop a cage floor begs to British Prime Minister Tony Blair, personally, for his life. Bigley is just one of the over one hundred and forty people captured by insurgents in Iraq. Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, the leader in the string of kidnappings personally beheads his former hostages. Unless the British government determines a means of communicating with Bigley's capturers, and discuss some form of negotiation, the same fate be awaiting for Bigley. Bigley's sibling, though, sees some goodness through this horrible event – that at least his brother is still alive. Blair, who personally responded to the pleas, said, "I feel absolutely sick about what has happened and I feel desperately sorry not just for Ken Bigley, obviously, but for the whole of his family."

UserLoser.

Mephisto

Irony - Dante's Divine Comedy - Inferno

Dante's Inferno opens a wealth of ideas throughout the text.  I observed something quite obvious to some people, and one of literatures most discussed topics, the irony of it.  Specifically the irony of the people sent to hell with good intent of their actions, or those who are helping others through Hell, but are damned to hell themselves while others help people through Hell and are blessed.  Through these observations we uncover multiple sub-ideas such as the flaws of the structure of Hell and who goes, punishments, emotion, truth, etc.

One of the first cases of irony is the observation of Virgil.  He is a very caring man who assists Dante in his journey through Hell.  Throughout Virgil's life, he was a man that was not evil and committed few sins.  However, because he was not born before Jesus Christ, he was condemned to Hell, even though everyone after him who carried out a life such as his went to Heaven.  To me, I find this very upsetting and a flaw of Hell.  It's also ironic that he continues to be a good man even while in Hell, assisting Dante through it, even though he didn't have to.

Beatriz on the other hand, the angel from Heaven, is blessed even though she carried out a similar life to Virgil, but unlike him was born after Jesus Christ, something neither of them could control, so it is stupid in my opinion that one should have to go to Hell, while the other one Heaven, by the forces that they had no control in, such as the birth of Jesus Christ.  She, also like Virgil, helps Dante in his journey through Hell, in places where Virgil himself cannot go.  It also brings up an interesting idea, that perhaps those who redeem themselves by committing acts that the Angels commit (Beatriz and Virgil -> same acts), then they should be granted a passage to Heaven, as they obviously have changed from the time they committed the sin.  As they say, people change, but it seems that there is no indication of this in Hell, which I find to be a major flaw.

Another notice of irony is in the separate idea of intentions versus the act and its reality.  For instance, the man in canto 13 goes to Hell after he commits suicide, even though throughout his entire life he lived as a monk worshipping God and doing great things, and not committing sins.  Yet, this one mistake he makes, condemns him to Hell, and a lower level of Hell more specifically.  The circumstances for this were allowance for this act in my opinion, as he was being tortured and was suffering, and a logical escape was suicide.  However, he goes to Hell for this.  It seems as though Hell completely disregards anything else the person has done in their life to balance their sin, which is a significant flaw in my opinion.  For example, if I were to commit murder under the circumstances that if the man were not to be murdered, thousands of others would suffer, I would go to Hell.  Logically, this doesn't seem to be how Hell should be, and thus a flaw.  But I am not 100% sure on the exact rules of which sins you can commit and under which circumstances to get away with them and still go to Heaven, but from what I have read so far in the cantos, my example would have me damned to Hell.

To the point that I have read in Dante's Inferno, I have discovered a critical idea, the irony.  More specifically I have applied the idea of irony to Virgil, Beatriz and the sins people commit based on the circumstances of perhaps the intention of the commiter or "for the greater good."  I feel that based on my discussion above, Hell is flawed.  Flawed in the sense that people who shouldn't be in Hell, are in Hell because of its flawed reasoning for whom should go to Hell.  I feel that this is sad for those who don't really know that they will be going to Hell if they commit a particular sin for the greater good, or with good intentions.  I also feel that it's silly that those who were not born before Jesus Christ are damned to Hell, even though they live a life that would grant them passage to Heaven if they were to be born after Jesus Christ.  Through the idea of irony, I was able to develop a strong opinion about the reasoning for people to go to Hell (flaws in it), and provide examples of the irony throughout the Inferno.

UserLoser.

if(dwCounter >= 150) {
      dwTempFlood += 10000;
      dwCounter = 0;
    }

muert0

It's not a matter of supporting SP1 or SP2 community. SP2 is the next batch of patches. It's not like upgrading from windows98 to windowsxp.

And I'm sprry for calling you a numbskull.
To lazy for slackware.

Akamas

Quote from: Arta[vL] on August 14, 2006, 04:57 PM
Well, I want some too. Greedy Yoni should stop hogging it.

warz

_           _            _                              ______ 
/ )         ( \          ( \                            (______)
| |           | |          | | _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _     _
| |           | |          | |(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)| |   | |
| |  _______  | | _______  | | _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _ | |__/ /
\_)(_______)(_/ (_______)(_/ (_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)|_____/ 

hismajesty

"The president made the wrong choice in going to Iraq"

dxoigmn

BaDDBLooD

Private Declare Function DrawIconEx _
       Lib "user32" _
            (ByVal hdc As Long, _
             ByVal xLeft As Long, _
             ByVal yTop As Long, _
             ByVal hIcon As Long, _
             ByVal cxWidth As Long, _
             ByVal cyWidth As Long, _
             ByVal istepIfAniCur As Long, _
             ByVal hbrFlickerFreeDraw As Long, _
             ByVal diFlags As Long) _
             As Long

There are only two kinds of people who are really fascinating: people who know absolutely everything, and people who know absolutely nothing.

|