• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Preffered bot types [Cmd Line/Gui]

Started by oldskooldrew, September 06, 2004, 09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iago

Quote from: Adron on September 09, 2004, 10:28 AM
Quote from: tA-Kane on September 09, 2004, 10:20 AM
Quote from: iago on September 07, 2004, 07:33 AM
Commandline with detachable gui (the gui makes a tcp connection locally).
A good firewall would likely block that.

Ah, but that wouldn't be a good firewall... A good firewall won't block the connections you want.

Right now, it only accepts connections from localhost.  Do firewalls actually block loopback? I've never really used a software firewall, so :/
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

tA-Kane

Quote from: iago on September 09, 2004, 11:59 AM
Quote from: Adron on September 09, 2004, 10:28 AM
Quote from: tA-Kane on September 09, 2004, 10:20 AM
Quote from: iago on September 07, 2004, 07:33 AM
Commandline with detachable gui (the gui makes a tcp connection locally).
A good firewall would likely block that.

Ah, but that wouldn't be a good firewall... A good firewall won't block the connections you want.

Right now, it only accepts connections from localhost.  Do firewalls actually block loopback? I've never really used a software firewall, so :/
I was working with Red Hat linux about a year and a half ago, and indeed it did have a firewall that blocked loopback. Took me a long time to figure out that's what was going on, too, and even longer to figure out how to disable the firewall.

I think the specifics was that it only blocked loopback on non-standard ports (eg, it would allow a connection to localhost on ftp, telnet, web, etc, but not the port I was using which was 2169).
Macintosh programmer and enthusiast.
Battle.net Bot Programming: http://www.bash.org/?240059
I can write programs. Can you right them?

http://www.clan-mac.com
http://www.eve-online.com

Kp

Quote from: tA-Kane on September 09, 2004, 02:36 PM
Quote from: iago on September 09, 2004, 11:59 AM
Quote from: Adron on September 09, 2004, 10:28 AMAh, but that wouldn't be a good firewall... A good firewall won't block the connections you want.
I was working with Red Hat linux about a year and a half ago, and indeed it did have a firewall that blocked loopback. Took me a long time to figure out that's what was going on, too, and even longer to figure out how to disable the firewall.

I think the specifics was that it only blocked loopback on non-standard ports (eg, it would allow a connection to localhost on ftp, telnet, web, etc, but not the port I was using which was 2169).

You didn't have it configured right, then. :)  Most Linux kernels have a hack that any traffic sent to any of the addresses that it owns from the local system is considered to come from lo, even  if the IP address belonged on, say, eth0.  Rather than disabling the firewall, you should've added a rule with target ACCEPT for interface lo.  Be sure to set it to interface lo, else you'll be opening up the system to the network.
[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!