27 (90%)
Fame
3 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Adron

Quote from: Falcon[anti-yL] on August 21, 2004, 11:22 PM
Quote from: Newby on August 21, 2004, 10:06 PM
Falcon, read: Money or fame?
If you have one, then you also have the other.

That's not true. Lots of people have fame but not money. Not sure of a good example right now.. Perhaps Mike Tyson? Or Ted Bundy?

If you have money, you can probably get fame if you like, but having fame there's no guarantee that you can get money for it.

muert0

Mike Tyson doesn't have money?

Heh, nevermind I found this while looking to see if he was broke. I don't really watch the news though. It's kinda sad that he made an average of $10 million dollars a fight and he's broke now...
QuoteThat is only slightly better than the average purse Tyson has drawn in Nevada. According to athletic commission records, Tyson has earned $169.55 million in 16 fights in the state since 1986. That's an average of $10.6 million per fight.
http://www.happinessonline.org/MoralCode/RoleModel/p6.htm
To lazy for slackware.

j0k3r

Quote from: Adron on August 22, 2004, 05:13 AM
If you have money, you can probably get fame if you like, but having fame there's no guarantee that you can get money for it.
People like to see Famous People, so companys will pay famous people to star in their commercials or be spokespeople for them.
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

Adron

Quote from: j0k3r on August 22, 2004, 07:51 AM
Quote from: Adron on August 22, 2004, 05:13 AM
People like to see Famous People, so companys will pay famous people to star in their commercials or be spokespeople for them.

There's absolutely no guarantee for that. Look at the examples I mentioned, as far as I know, not wealthy people.

Yoni

UserLoser.

Money.  And I'd use it to get fame!

j0k3r

Quote from: Adron on August 22, 2004, 09:31 AM
There's absolutely no guarantee for that. Look at the examples I mentioned, as far as I know, not wealthy people.
I see no examples. If you're talking about money = fame that's not necessarily true either, depending on your definition of money and fame. You have to be among the top 50 richest people to get recognized just for being rich.
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

Adron

Quote from: j0k3r on August 22, 2004, 12:07 PM
Quote from: Adron on August 22, 2004, 09:31 AM
I see no examples. If you're talking about money = fame that's not necessarily true either, depending on your definition of money and fame. You have to be among the top 50 richest people to get recognized just for being rich.

I'm talking about "Mike Tyson" and "Ted Bundy", whom I mentioned as examples of famous (or infamous) people lacking "lots of money".

iago

I didn't invent that joke:

[14:31:44] Ron: Is there a good public Biginteger, or did you guys write your own?
[14:32:30] Yoni @ ALSA!: yes, there is a good public biginteger, or us guys wrote our own
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

j0k3r

Ah, well you're picking on the few individuals who mess it up for themselves. There are always exceptions, just because you have money doens't mean you can get fame. I can't give any examples, because then my examples would be wrong :P
John Vo

Adron

Quote from: j0k3r on August 22, 2004, 03:02 PM
Ah, well you're picking on the few individuals who mess it up for themselves. There are always exceptions, just because you have money doens't mean you can get fame. I can't give any examples, because then my examples would be wrong :P

Haha, well, you're not convincing me ;)

I think anyone that has money can buy fame, but fame doesn't always sell. Particularly, a lot of our female athletes are pretty well known, yet don't get loads of money for their trouble.

iago

Quote from: Adron on August 22, 2004, 04:08 PM
Quote from: j0k3r on August 22, 2004, 03:02 PM

Haha, well, you're not convincing me ;)

I think anyone that has money can buy fame, but fame doesn't always sell. Particularly, a lot of our female athletes are pretty well known, yet don't get loads of money for their trouble.

And the ones that do are called "sell outs" :)

To use the "Board Game of Life" ratings, there are 3 things: fame, fortune, and happiness.  Personally, I prefer happiness over the others.  Right now I don't have enough money (enough to live off of and buy neat stuff), I'm not that famous (just within my group of friends, on and offline), and I'm very happy (life is good).  So I think that's the most important thing.
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

hismajesty

Money. I'd use it to get stuff, and fame.

Grok

Who the hell wants fame?  Not even famous people want it.  They want the money, and despise the publicity.

Newby

Quote from: Grok on August 22, 2004, 11:17 PM
Who the hell wants fame?
Exactly my words. I was thinking "Who the hell would waste money for publicity? They'll fake stories about you, invade your privacy, all so they can get promoted at their jobs.". :/
- Newby

Quote[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

Quote<TehUser> Man, I can't get Xorg to work properly.  This sucks.
<torque> you should probably kill yourself
<TehUser> I think I will.  Thanks, torque.

|