• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Microsoft becoming pro-open source?

Started by hismajesty, July 29, 2004, 10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hismajesty

This is drifting into a Linux vs. Windows debate and not a discussion of Microsofts recent open source releases!!!  8)

Anyway, no matter how powerful it is, face it, Linux is too hard for 97%+ of the worlds population. There's no point in arguing about that, until Linux has more native support for things (hardware, applications, etc.) and a more friendly native user interface (meaning not having to type a command just to boot a front end) it's not going to surpass Windows. Even if it is, or isn't, better Linux wasn't made for the general public, Windows was, stop beating a dead horse..

Eli_1

No OS is excessivly user-friendly. My parents/grand parents still can't operate the "double-click" feature correctly.

Eli_1

Maddox

I think Linux functions just as well as Windows for everyday computing. I don't game much anymore, and if I need to I can just use Cedega or boot into Windows 2000 if absolutely neccessary. It supports all of my hardware and peripherals. I like the ability to choose my window manager and access my computer remotely. Plus, it's something different.
asdf.

quasi-modo

Why is the fact that you can access your pc remotely a big deal? I mean windows can do it. Even if there were not an integrated way to do it, there are now light weight servers that act like big file managers and all.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

Maddox

Because I can send files, install programs, update my system, reboot, etc, all without having to be there.
asdf.

quasi-modo

Quote from: Maddox on July 31, 2004, 02:26 AM
Because I can send files, install programs, update my system, reboot, etc, all without having to be there.
yes but you can do that with windows too... remote desktop.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

Newby

- Newby

Quote[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

Quote<TehUser> Man, I can't get Xorg to work properly.  This sucks.
<torque> you should probably kill yourself
<TehUser> I think I will.  Thanks, torque.

Maddox

Quote from: peofeoknight on July 31, 2004, 02:34 AM
Quote from: Maddox on July 31, 2004, 02:26 AM
yes but you can do that with windows too... remote desktop.

Can I run remote desktop on Linux, BSD, OSX, or Solaris?
asdf.

iago

You can run vnc, if you don't mind very slow updates.

I do stuff remotely all the time.  When I'm on my breaks at school, I'll compile/install software at home.  It's really handy.  

Mephisto -- most of your points are pointless, basically "windows is better so this point doesn't matter".  The only thing I really want to respond to is using Linux as a router (gateway).

I used to have Windows set up with internet sharing before Tmp sent me a router.  It was pretty crappy, it didn't handle usb properly (I couldn't play Starcraft) and there was no way to forward ports.  On Linux, you can do neat things like forward ports, and other router functionality.  Additionally, you can have filters, IDS's, and other things.  If you put a Linux box between your network and the Internet, you get an extra highly-configurabe level of security.  Part of my job (this fall) is to maintain the IDS system.  
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

hismajesty

I agree with iago on that point, it's much easier to make your own custom firewall for Linux than Windows. However, the majority of the world would just rather get Norton.

Banana fanna fo fanna

linux is easy to use for the general public/

cefx-

I can speak affirmatively about this.

The group of people that would use Windows alone is decreasingly small.

I have reccomended, several times, people use Linux -- no particular distrobution or kernel, just Linux.

I've seen an increased number of people that call in with LILO or A dual boot situation.

So, Mephisto, coming from a technical support aspect, Windows popularity is dieing.
People just have way too much trouble with it.
cefx
Technodev.org (future project) / UnixPartisan.org
Future dictator

cefx-

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on July 31, 2004, 07:57 AM
I agree with iago on that point, it's much easier to make your own custom firewall for Linux than Windows. However, the majority of the world would just rather get Norton.

If you only knew how much shit Norton breaks.
cefx
Technodev.org (future project) / UnixPartisan.org
Future dictator

hismajesty

Quote from: cefx- on July 31, 2004, 10:08 AM
Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on July 31, 2004, 07:57 AM

If you only knew how much shit Norton breaks.

Who's to say I don't. I wasn't talking about me getting Norton, I don't use a software anti-virus or firewall and I've never had a problem. Anyway, the majority of people see and know of Norton/McAfee and would get those just because of their popularity. Just like with AOL.

|