• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Windows Forms Memory Consumption

Started by MyndFyre, July 21, 2004, 06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MyndFyre

Quote from: TheMinistered on August 03, 2004, 09:15 PM
A base-line window uses ~6mb and base-line console uses ~5mb for me, perhaps your tests are faulty.

What runtime version?
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

K

on .NET 1.1, a debug System.Windows.Form uses 10mb for me, and a release ~7mb.  I have 512mb of RAM, in case that's any way related.

Edit: I was about to test on 2.0 beta, but I haven't restarted since I installed it so I can't.  And now I'm sleeping.

Banana fanna fo fanna

I'm a big hypocrite, using .NET, Java, and Python...but I think that bloatware is a HUGE issue.

Has anyone noticed Windows just slowing down after time? Even if you keep it spyware-free? I have a P3 550mhz box which is running win2k, and it can barely handle Opera.

Falcon[anti-yL]

My XP Pro has been running for about 2 weeks and I don't notice anything.

hismajesty

Alright, I've had a theory for a while that Microsoft didn't mind the memory consumption when developing .NET because, a few years down the road 500gb harddrives will be normal, >=1gig ram, etc. Just look at history, 10 years ago people had 4mb of RAM, even 4 years ago computers were still being built with 5 gb harddrives. Now people have 256-512mb shipped with stock computers, and 60-120gb harddrives.

Anyway, I've been conversing with Robert Scoble through email for the past month and I decided to ask him about my theroy, I'm assuming it's pretty close to the real reason. Here was his reply:

QuoteYeah, that's sorta how Microsoft's developers think. They look at what the hardware is going to look like in three years and they develop features that'll take advantage of that hardware (and give them productivity so they can develop things in less and less time).

Banana fanna fo fanna

Quote from: Falcon[anti-yL] on August 03, 2004, 11:05 PM
My XP Pro has been running for about 2 weeks and I don't notice anything.

Mine for 2 months.

I'm talking about a P3 550mhz that I bought 3 years ago. It ran all of its apps and such perfectly fine. I reformatted and installed the same apps....and now it's slow.