• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Another riddle

Started by Adron, June 11, 2004, 02:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adron

K

I was playing this yesterday.  It reminds me of the stick arranging game, if any of you have played this.

Yoni

I didn't like this one.

Adron

Quote from: Yoni on June 11, 2004, 06:56 PM
I didn't like this one.

But you figured it? You're smart enough that it took long? :P

Arsenic

According to the background story, I guess I'm really not smart because it took me 2 seconds to solve it.

I suppose some people might struggle with this riddle for a long time depending how they see it. Just reading the title and looking at the dice, I got it right away.

j0k3r

Played it twice so far, still don't get it.
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

Arta

Grok

I got it the first try, but I read the text first.  I do not know why it is correct.

Arta

I went and read some open source code for it, but I won't give the answer away. I'd be interested to know how some people just know the answer intuitively though... I sat there for 10 minutes playing with some simple math and got nowehere near.

Adron

Quote from: Arta[vL] on June 12, 2004, 09:56 AM
I went and read some open source code for it, but I won't give the answer away. I'd be interested to know how some people just know the answer intuitively though... I sat there for 10 minutes playing with some simple math and got nowehere near.

I played with it for a few minutes before finding the answer.

QuoteWhat lead me to finding the answer was comparing what produced high and low numbers. The highest number I got was 12 and the lowest 0. When you get those and check what numbers do and don't generate those, the solution should be getting pretty obvious.

dxoigmn

Good one.  Hint below:

Read the name carefully

iago

Hmm, I got all ones and left it blank, and it said "You are right there are   petals"
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

iago

Well, I can get the right answer every time, but I'm not really sure why it's right :)

<edit> aha, I see why it works now.  But I think I did it a little backwards.  I agree with Adron's advice, though, that's what I did.

Arsenic

Solving the problem depends on your perception of the dices. Like the info says, no complex math involved.

I got it right away on the first try and I really thought it wasn't working correctly; I found it strange that I'd get the right results all the time. I didn't think it was that simple.

iago