• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Main Menu

0.999~

Started by Blaze, May 08, 2004, 10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoni

Neutrons were invented in the 20th century, protons and electrons in the 19th (IIRC). "Atom" was the name for the atom until then because everyone thought they were really the smallest type of particle. And from then till now for historical reasons.

Definition #4 looks like the dictionary-style dumbification of E=mc^2.

Adron

Quote from: Yoni on May 13, 2004, 12:34 AM
Definition #4 looks like the dictionary-style dumbification of E=mc^2.

If that's it, they're going too far. Besides, a dictionary definition should cover the use of the words, not random information. I can't think of any way to use atom to mean energysource, that isn't more accurately covered by the other definitions?

ITAKal89

This brings up an argument I had with my friend. I truly believe that .999~ = 1. Now, without any idiocy intended (I am just a geometry student, albeit I know some Algebra II and Trig), since there is no distance that can be added or subtracted from or to either number to achieve the other without exceeding or preceeding it, they must be the same. Also, 1-.999~ = .00000~. Now, you may say, "what about the 1 at the end?" Well, you can never achieve the one at the end, because if you do find a digit that it will go in, the 0 must go there. So, when any number is subtracted from another, and the difference is 0, the numbers are equal. Another proof: 3(1/3) = 3(.333~) Therefore: 1 = .999~

I'll be happy to argue it ^_^

K

Maybe we should argue that .9999¯ is equal to - (ei*pi).

Yoni

Quote from: K on May 23, 2004, 12:33 AM
I'm sure you can come up with less elegant formulas for 1 ;)

Raven

Quote from: Yoni on May 23, 2004, 01:54 AM
Quote from: K on May 23, 2004, 12:33 AM
I'm sure you can come up with less elegant formulas for 1 ;)

.5 * 2. ;)

|