Serious pop up problem :\

Started by Mitosis, May 03, 2004, 05:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adron

Quote from: iago on May 06, 2004, 05:35 PM
Quote from: Adron on May 06, 2004, 05:33 PM
Internet Explorer has a frequent sites bar. It's the best. :P

Internet Explorer can still get viruses from websites - no thanks :P

What browser can you say cannot get viruses from websites? Can you say that IE can get viruses from websites, when configured to disable scripting?

MyndFyre

There can be no definitive certainty regarding being able to block all viruses in any browser.  Invariably there is a problem with something somewhere -- it's just that they're more obvious when it happens in a Microsoft product because they're so widely circulated and used -- not to mention the anti-Microsoft people.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

quasi-modo

Quote from: Maddox on May 06, 2004, 10:34 AM
That's a pretty bad argument, "mozilla's better, it just is."
how about: It is because I said it is. That is the arguement my parents just love to break out and I can do a thing about it. So suck on that!
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

quasi-modo

Quote from: Adron on May 06, 2004, 07:48 PM

What browser can you say cannot get viruses from websites? Can you say that IE can get viruses from websites, when configured to disable scripting?
better disable those applets too, malicious applets....
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

iago

Perhaps I should have stated "with a default install".  You'd think default installs would be safe?
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Adron

Quote from: iago on May 07, 2004, 12:42 AM
Perhaps I should have stated "with a default install".  You'd think default installs would be safe?

IIRC, scripting is disabled by default in the latest IE install (Windows 2003) ?

Grok

Quote from: Adron on May 07, 2004, 05:50 AM

IIRC, scripting is disabled by default in the latest IE install (Windows 2003) ?

That is correct.  Traditionally, default installs were for maximum interoperability and functionality.  In today's more security-conscious world, the default installs have migrated towards safety and security.

MyndFyre

You know, I think (sorry Grok) that we ought to license people to use computers.

People ought to know what security and functionality trade-offs they will have to use.  They shouldn't be allowed to use a computer until they go through that.

When I install Windows, the first thing I do is spend about 4 hours configuring all of the functionality that I want out of it, and updating the software to current patches and all that.  On a good day, it only takes four hours.

There's no reason for all these lame-ass people to be using a computer if they can't figure out how to go to Windows Update or use automatic updates.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Grok

I disagree with your target, but not with your fix.  People should be required to have user-security training before going on the public internet.  The computers should also be certified by the ISP, and make the ISP responsible for what connects to their network.

Adron

Quote from: Grok on May 07, 2004, 01:40 PM
I disagree with your target, but not with your fix.  People should be required to have user-security training before going on the public internet.  The computers should also be certified by the ISP, and make the ISP responsible for what connects to their network.

That sounds like a very bad suggestion. Your ISP would control what computers and software you could use? Goodbye choice?

Grok

Quote from: Adron on May 07, 2004, 06:11 PM

That sounds like a very bad suggestion. Your ISP would control what computers and software you could use? Goodbye choice?

I didn't say that.

Adron

Quote from: Grok on May 07, 2004, 06:23 PM
Quote from: Adron on May 07, 2004, 06:11 PM

I didn't say that.

I can't see how what you said wouldn't imply that. If an ISP is to certify computers before allowing them to be connected to the internet, economy will mean that they certify common things. Certifying more than very few packages would be prohibitively expensive since combinations of things often cause new security holes.

And given that the ISP is responsible for what connects to their network, they can't take any chances. Everything has to be 100% safe, so they don't get sued out of business because of a connected computer causing some kind of damage somewhere.

I suppose this is where palladium comes in handy; just require that everything in the computer be signed by the ISP, or the computer won't be allowed on the internet.

|