• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Graphics Contest!

Started by Mitosis, April 24, 2004, 01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Spht

I like what Tuberload did.  ABSTRACT_2.jpg would make interesting background if rendered 1600x1200.  Possible to render larger without losing detail (not just resize)?

Tuberload

Quote from: Spht on May 18, 2004, 04:34 PM
I like what Tuberload did.  ABSTRACT_2.jpg would make interesting background if rendered 1600x1200.  Possible to render larger without losing detail (not just resize)?

I rendered it to a larger size to fit my background and didn't loose as much detail as just resizing it did. It just got a little grainy in some spots.

I resized it using Photoshop 6.0 and just changed the image size properties. If anyone knows of a better way to resize it without the loss of detail please let me know. I am by no means an expert with graphics, I am just learning.

Otherwise I can just create a few new ones at different sizes, and if you want Spht I can do one at 1600x1200. It might not look exactly the same, but it would be very similar.
Quote"Pray not for lighter burdens, but for stronger backs." -- Teddy Roosevelt
"Your forefathers have given you freedom, so good luck, see you around, hope you make it" -- Unknown

Spht

Quote from: Tuberload on May 18, 2004, 04:40 PM
If anyone knows of a better way to resize it without the loss of detail please let me know. I am by no means an expert with graphics, I am just learning.

Logically, there is no good way of resizing digital images to prevent quality loss.  Per-pixel detail will always turn into X-pixel detail.  I never used Photoshop, but in 3D Studio you can adjust the dimensions you want your image to be rendered at.  No quality is losed during this process.

If the only method you have in rescaling your image is by running a resize algorithm on it then it's not worth it -- pixels will just be stretched and fine detail becomes large blobs.

Tuberload

http://www.forgehosting.com/~bobbage/teampz/tuberload/gpx/ABSTRACT_2_1600x1200.jpg

AH, I spoke to soon. Here is a good quality version of the abstract with your required dimensions. Quite a bit bigger file size, but it looks good.
"Your forefathers have given you freedom, so good luck, see you around, hope you make it" -- Unknown

Spht

Quote from: Tuberload on May 18, 2004, 04:50 PM
http://www.forgehosting.com/~bobbage/teampz/tuberload/gpx/ABSTRACT_2_1600x1200.jpg

AH, I spoke to soon. Here is a good quality version of the abstract with your required dimensions. Quite a bit bigger file size, but it looks good.

Stretched pixels. =)  Doesn't have the same attractive fine-tuned glassy look as the 400x400 one.

Tuberload

Quote from: Spht on May 18, 2004, 04:53 PM
Quote from: Tuberload on May 18, 2004, 04:50 PM

Stretched pixels. =)  Doesn't have the same attractive fine-tuned glassy look as the 400x400 one.

You should have seen the original background I made for myself. This is ten times better, but you are right it is not quite as good. If I figure out a better method of changing the size I will repost.

Addition: I think the picture looks pretty good, I am wondering if maybe some of the distortion comes from it being stretched from 400x400 to 1600x1200, which is not proportional? Definitely something I will look more into.

Mitosis

Well, this is my latest piece of work. Joker I know that there is spelling and grammer errors, so hold off on being my mother for this thread.

mitosisdesigns.zodiaclegends.com

My dads best friend owns Barrie PaintBall and Im doing the site for him for community hours. (Im still getting a Tipman m98 though :O)

Comments are welcome.

Thing

When I first read that, I thought it said Barbie Paintball.  I got a good visual of you dressed up like Barbie with fake boobs and everything.  Thanks.
That sucking sound you hear is my bandwidth.

hismajesty

Too much white space.

Mitosis

Quote from: Thing on May 29, 2004, 08:27 AM
When I first read that, I thought it said Barbie Paintball.  I got a good visual of you dressed up like Barbie with fake boobs and everything.  Thanks.

Omfg haha. Ya Im going to fix the resolution so there is no white space. Have been having problems with that.

Mitosis

Newest abstract piece,

j0k3r

All I see is a directory when I click on your link.
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

Tuberload

Mitosis:

You definitely need to work on your text design, but the actual abstract backgrounds are getting a lot better.

Mitosis

Hmmph, is this any better?

j0k3r

I don't like the grid in the background. The center piece could use some work so that it looks like something too, but I love the background.
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

|