• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Flood Bot Filtering Discussion

Started by Archangel, April 08, 2004, 07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dyndrilliac

Quote from: Adron on April 17, 2004, 02:59 PM
Are the criteria for who a squelch applies to different from the criteria for who a ban applies to? Did it always use to be that way? I had a feeling they used to work the same..

If squelch and ban have different criteria, I suppose I understand the idea of squelching to trace spammers.

I still don't understand the name pattern matching. If a spammer was picking names like Dyndrilliaa, Dyndrilliab, ..., would the bot ban Dyndrilliac? :)

No, because I would not be rapidly rejoining and sending several messages, therefore it would automatically do a temporary safelist type measure.

Analyzing is done one attacker at a time. All the criteria is logged in a  text file,  and all my bots use the same log file, so in this way I prevent doubling up and keep a speedy ban system going using several ops bots, for a cooperative banning system.

Note: The same person is not squelched on all ops bots. So in my clan channel, if I have 4 ops bots running, I can use this system on 4 attackers at once.
Quote from: Edsger W. DijkstraIt is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC; as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

iago

Quote from: Dyndrilliac on April 17, 2004, 04:43 PM
Quote from: Adron on April 17, 2004, 02:59 PM
Are the criteria for who a squelch applies to different from the criteria for who a ban applies to? Did it always use to be that way? I had a feeling they used to work the same..

If squelch and ban have different criteria, I suppose I understand the idea of squelching to trace spammers.

I still don't understand the name pattern matching. If a spammer was picking names like Dyndrilliaa, Dyndrilliab, ..., would the bot ban Dyndrilliac? :)

No, because I would not be rapidly rejoining and sending several messages, therefore it would automatically do a temporary safelist type measure.

Analyzing is done one attacker at a time. All the criteria is logged in a  text file,  and all my bots use the same log file, so in this way I prevent doubling up and keep a speedy ban system going using several ops bots, for a cooperative banning system.

Could reading/writing to the same file cause i/o errors, like if somebody was flooding with iagokasfdlasfdkj and it read the file while it only said "iago"?  Or do you have a check against that?
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Dyndrilliac

I've never experienced that, but, I don't have a check for it either; The way I did it is, all the bots information is outputted to a text file, then all the bots input the other bots' text files and compare data, double information is removed and appended to the single log file, the other files are wiped clean and the bots reset their information and progress normally.
Quote from: Edsger W. DijkstraIt is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC; as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

iago

It seems like it might have a problem with partially written data/io getting in the way of itself, but if it works it works :)
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

o.OV

Quote from: Dyndrilliac on April 17, 2004, 08:54 AM
If the user is still squelched but the user name is different, it knows not to waste time recording the name, and move on to more useful criteria. If it is the same name, it records it and begins recording other criteria. Criteria the bot uses to decide a ban ..

What if the username was the same but the ip was different?

Note: The same person is not squelched on all ops bots. So in my clan channel, if I have 4 ops bots running, I can use this system on 4 attackers at once.
So one of your bot manages to squelch one somehow..
what if the squelched flooder fails to show up?
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts. - Albert Einstein

Dyndrilliac

Quote from: o.OV on April 17, 2004, 06:54 PM
Quote from: Dyndrilliac on April 17, 2004, 08:54 AM
If the user is still squelched but the user name is different, it knows not to waste time recording the name, and move on to more useful criteria. If it is the same name, it records it and begins recording other criteria. Criteria the bot uses to decide a ban ..

What if the username was the same but the ip was different?

So one of your bot manages to squelch one somehow..
what if the squelched flooder fails to show up?

1) The bot will squelch the new IP, record the name, and proceed normally.

2) If the flooder does not return within the next 90 seconds the ban attempt is aborted, and it begins searching for other attackers.

o.OV

Quote from: Dyndrilliac on April 17, 2004, 08:05 PM

So if the attacker were to use the same name
but different ip EVERY reconnect..
your bot would continue to squelch them?

2) If the flooder does not return within the next 90 seconds the ban attempt is aborted, and it begins searching for other attackers.

So 135 seconds later you found yourself a new target..
What if the flooder that failed to return fast enough..
returns after you found that new target?

In both cases you could have more then one squelched IP assuming that you were able to catch them.
Is the analysis still useable?
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts. - Albert Einstein

Dyndrilliac

Quote from: o.OV on April 17, 2004, 10:10 PM
Quote from: Dyndrilliac on April 17, 2004, 08:05 PM

So if the attacker were to use the same name
but different ip EVERY reconnect..
your bot would continue to squelch them?

So 135 seconds later you found yourself a new target..
What if the flooder that failed to return fast enough..
returns after you found that new target?

In both cases you could have more then one squelched IP assuming that you were able to catch them.
Is the analysis still useable?

The bot would continue to squelch them yes. I don't think I ever gave it an action for that scenario.

Upon banning of the new target, if the previous target returns to the channel before another new target is found, it will resume it's analysis of the previous one. Once the 90 seconds is up the bot does an auto reconnect to reset squelches, meaning that in this case, there wouldn't be a second IP squelched.

Lenny

You would also reset all the bans (if any) that were successful.
The Bovine Revolution
Something unimportant

Live Battle.net:

WARNING: The preceding message may have contained content unsuitable for young children.

|