Started by iago, April 08, 2004, 09:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iago

Quote from: Adron on April 08, 2004, 12:45 PM
Quote from: iago on April 08, 2004, 11:27 AM
Or maybe it's time to start bringing my usb NIC with me :P

It's the first pin on the right:

|||||||\

The pins in use are 1, 2, 3 and 6 if i remember correctly. It seems that you've managed to bend pin 1. Hmm. I don't remember now, how badly bent was it? Might it have been making contact before and not now?

It's not really bent so much as it's loose.  I can move it about 2mm in either direction.  

It's been working with a straight cable but not with crossover for some time, so I just assumed that pin 1 (I assume you count from the right?) was only used by crossovers.
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Adron

Quote from: iago on April 08, 2004, 12:54 PM
It's not really bent so much as it's loose.  I can move it about 2mm in either direction.  

It's been working with a straight cable but not with crossover for some time, so I just assumed that pin 1 (I assume you count from the right?) was only used by crossovers.

The same pins are used by both straight and crossover cables.

Straight : 1 - 1, 2 - 2, 3 - 3, 6 - 6
Cross-over : 1 - 3, 2 - 6, 3 - 1, 6 - 2

Whether you count from the right or from the left depends on how you hold the plug.... :P

Google points to some illustrative images, such as this one.

iago

hmm, it's odd that it worked fine with straight and not with crossover, then.  Perhaps there's some property (how #1 is used?) that is breaking it..

Adron

Quote from: iago on April 08, 2004, 01:42 PM
hmm, it's odd that it worked fine with straight and not with crossover, then.  Perhaps there's some property (how #1 is used?) that is breaking it..

No, they're used the same way. It's more likely that one of your cables has a slightly different connector, perhaps it's 0.5 mm longer or something like that.

iago

Quote from: Adron on April 08, 2004, 01:50 PM
Quote from: iago on April 08, 2004, 01:42 PM

No, they're used the same way. It's more likely that one of your cables has a slightly different connector, perhaps it's 0.5 mm longer or something like that.

hmm, I've tried with 2 different straight (which work) and 2 different cross (which don't work).  Weird coincidence?

Adron

Quote from: iago on April 08, 2004, 02:54 PM
hmm, I've tried with 2 different straight (which work) and 2 different cross (which don't work).  Weird coincidence?

Hmm, sounds like it... What about trying a cross-over cable to the hub's uplink port?

mynameistmp

Have you tried using the laptop at home ?
"This idea is so odd, it is hard to know where to begin in challenging it." - Martin Barker, British scholar

iago

Quote from: mynameistmp on April 11, 2004, 02:36 AM
Have you tried using the laptop at home ?

aah, THAT'S what you were talking about on irc.  Sorry, i was in a game, didn't get your messages till you were offline.

Anyway, the NIC has never worked at home (well, not in a long time, since the pin got broken), but has always worked at work.  I've always assumed it was because of the difference in cables.  At home I use a USB NIC (Xar says it sucks, but whatever).  

MrRaza

iago

Quote from: MrRaza on April 13, 2004, 02:55 AM
Use a cable tester.
I doubt it's a problem with the cable.

Anyway, I came to work today and plugged it in to test, and now it works.  The link light is on and I can dhcp/ping/whatever in or out of the network.  So I don't know what happened on Friday, but I'm going to to not to jinx it :)