24 (75%)
Comeau
0 (0%)
Bloodshed
4 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Define

Yoni

Visual C++ (because it's sexy), though I'd like to try out and/or buy Comeau sometime (because VC++ is too buggy).

iago

gcc/g++ - note that dev-c++ (bloodshed) isn't a compiler, it's an IDE. In fact, so is VS and probably the others.

It depends what I'm doing, though - if I'm writing a windows program I use VS.
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Skywing

Intel's compiler has a lot of problems (even crashing).  I'm told that it shares the same backend as Comeau, as well.

Define

Quote from: iago on March 29, 2004, 01:12 PM
gcc/g++ - note that dev-c++ (bloodshed) isn't a compiler, it's an IDE. In fact, so is VS and probably the others.

Nice observation. I was hoping someone would get that. ;-)

iago

Quote from: Define aka MosDef on March 30, 2004, 12:28 AM
Quote from: iago on March 29, 2004, 01:12 PM

Nice observation. I was hoping someone would get that. ;-)

Riight, I'll bet :P

Define

Hrm.. I wonder why so many prefer Visual C++?

iago

Quote from: Define aka MosDef on March 30, 2004, 11:18 AM

It's the most popular because it's made by M$, who hold a monopoly on pretty much everything computer related.

K

I use g++ when I'm working in a unix environment.  I usually write / test all my code in Visual C++ (.NET 2003)/ cl on my windows machine.  It's supposed to be extremely ISO compliant (not that I've ever used partial templates or anything).  It's not really the compiler that I like though -- It's the IDE.  Debugging with GDB gives me all sorts of headaches, and don't get me started on you emacs/vi(m) people.  I want my code completion!

iago

Quote from: K on March 30, 2004, 12:35 PM
I use g++ when I'm working in a unix environment.  I usually write / test all my code in Visual C++ (.NET 2003)/ cl on my windows machine.  It's supposed to be extremely ISO compliant (not that I've ever used partial templates or anything).  It's not really the compiler that I like though -- It's the IDE.  Debugging with GDB gives me all sorts of headaches, and don't get me started on you emacs/vi(m) people.  I want my code completion!

I don't like gdb, just because I don't understand it (yet?).  And vi is rox0r.  So there.

Kp

Quote from: K on March 30, 2004, 12:35 PMI use g++ when I'm working in a unix environment.  I usually write / test all my code in Visual C++ (.NET 2003)/ cl on my windows machine.  It's supposed to be extremely ISO compliant (not that I've ever used partial templates or anything).  It's not really the compiler that I like though -- It's the IDE.  Debugging with GDB gives me all sorts of headaches, and don't get me started on you emacs/vi(m) people.  I want my code completion!

The wording of this post makes me thing you actually use the VC debugger, which is just horrible (or was when I last tried it).  For debugging programs written in VC, you're much better off using windbg (which, after 10 minutes of searching the Microsoft site, I am unable to find -- their search engine needs work!)
[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!

j0k3r

Quote from: iago on March 30, 2004, 11:34 AM

It's the most popular because it's made by M$, who hold a monopoly on pretty much everything computer related.
Actually, I just have it because it was the most popular search result for "C++" in kazaa.
HAR.
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

Kp

Quote from: j0k3r on March 30, 2004, 04:51 PMActually, I just have it because it was the most popular search result for "C++" in kazaa.

Sure.  Who would want to warez up a freely available compiler like Minimalist GNU for Windows (MinGW)? :P
[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!

Define

Not really, the monopoly of software I would have to say is cisco. *Correcting spelling mistake*

Adron

And I very much wonder why gcc, djgpp etc weren't listed. The only one listed that I've used to build 32-bit apps is VC. But I do rather often use gcc.