• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

new computer

Started by DVX, February 22, 2004, 05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

synth

Online resellers usually have cheaper prices, but sometimes they trade the quality of their service and tech support.

I like to use newegg.com.  It's honest and cheap, and most people will agree with me that it's one of the best on the internet.  They have great support and RMA service.

But, if you're willing to pay higher prices in return for quick delivery time (i.e., none), then go for it and go find a store around you.  If you go to a small shop in a strip mall ("mom-and-pop"), know what you're talking about.  Some of the smaller stores are dishonest.  Be wary.

My choice would be to order online from newegg.  But try it once either way, if you're willing, then go with what works best for you.

May the fates smile on your potential new system.

Mephisto

i'm buying the dell tonight before the harddrive, $150 off, and 4x ram promotions expire.  i'm thinking of getting the fx 5200 (not a permanent card) just because it's so much cheaper than the raedon cards, and since i plan on upgrading to the 256mb card, and don't have the money to get the 256mb one now, i don't see the point of payng an extra $200 for the 128mb raedon and just get the 5200 fx and upgrade later.  my question is that is this going to cause driver incompatabilities and differences in which motherboard dell chooses to make the computer with?

Mephisto

Btw, DVX is my brother, and not me.  I had my account logged on at the same time as him, and he decided to post here on it, probably unaware he was on mine.  At any rate, keep in mind this post is mine, and previous post above was his.  I won't be posting on these forums anymore anyways, and I recommend you delete this account.

Hostile

Quote from: Trance on February 23, 2004, 11:27 PM
Make sure you do your homework before you buy the system, the last thing you want is to be buying a system thinking I just got all this great stuff for cheap! Then find out a few months later that your hardware doesn't get along with eachother or something really bizzare.

Eh, I think Dell has that covered. You could complain they don't offer enough components for their systems, which is -mildly- true.... but compatiblity within the system is no problem.

DVX/Mephisto, whatever! hehe Dell's are ok with upgrading things later on. They usually come with the latest stable drivers for whatever video card you have in the system when you buy it, but if you upgrade later it won't be a problem, as dell uses the manufacturers drivers for just about any component you have in your system.
- Hostile is sexy.