• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Another Flood Bot Prevention Discussion

Started by Tuberload, February 06, 2004, 12:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

effect

Quote from: Networks on February 12, 2004, 05:26 PM
wait u said squelching is by there IP so if we are able to squelch the flood bot in time will it all together filter it or is a user who logs on to b.net with the ip squelched from before not squelched by the user who squelched them...lol

And can anyone please respond to my post about clumped join/leave packets above.

Is it just me or does everything you say not make sense ?

ill TRY and answer your question anyways , once you squelch a user he is then squelched on every account he logs on to coming from that IP , however masking yourself with a proxy will avoid this.

Also asking for people to respond to your question will undoubtable make people inturn avoid it and make you look extremly annoying.
Quote from: Mangix on March 22, 2005, 03:03 AM
i am an expert Stealthbot VBScript. Recognize Bitch.

Networks

even if he logs back on will he still be squelched?

and if masked by a proxy couldn't that IP just squelched if the bot is able thus filitring floods w/ ease.

Soul Taker

Quote from: Networks on February 12, 2004, 05:48 PM

and if masked by a proxy couldn't that IP just squelched if the bot is able thus filitring floods w/ ease.
Yes, but you can't squelch an account when it's offline.

effect

Yes if you have squelched him and he logs off then on again he will still be squelched (even with a new name) , up until YOU log off.

think of it as , not squelching a SINGLE user but more as squelching ALL users with that certain IP.

<edit>Sorry posted same time</edit>
Quote from: Mangix on March 22, 2005, 03:03 AM
i am an expert Stealthbot VBScript. Recognize Bitch.

Lenny

Quote from: Networks on February 12, 2004, 05:26 PM
wait u said squelching is by there IP so if we are able to squelch the flood bot in time will it all together filter it or is a user who logs on to b.net with the ip squelched from before not squelched by the user who squelched them...lol

And can anyone please respond to my post about clumped join/leave packets above.

Most bots have their data arrival function able to separate clumpted packets....
It's not very difficult, considering bnet gives you the length of the packet.

The Bovine Revolution
Something unimportant

Live Battle.net:

WARNING: The preceding message may have contained content unsuitable for young children.

UserLoser.

Two steps on preventing any kind of bots:

1) Get a clan channel
2) Type '/clan private'

Imperceptus

Quote from: Soul Taker on February 12, 2004, 05:51 PM
Quote from: Networks on February 12, 2004, 05:48 PM

Yes, but you can't squelch an account when it's offline.

Can always code a local squelch.
Quote from: Hazard on August 07, 2003, 03:15 PM
Highlight your entire code. Press the delete key. Start over again using Cuphead's CSB tutorial and work your way from their rather than raping code from downloaded sources meant purely for learning purposes. If this does not fix the problem, uninstall Visual Basic and get a new hobby. I suggest Cricket.

Grok

Quote from: UserLoser. on February 13, 2004, 11:02 AM

1) Get a clan channel
2) Type '/clan private'

Worthless post of the day.

UserLoser.

Quote from: Grok on February 13, 2004, 11:39 AM
Quote from: UserLoser. on February 13, 2004, 11:02 AM

1) Get a clan channel
2) Type '/clan private'

Worthless post of the day.

Your momma

It's true though...even though my client has delayed ~425ms for each user on joins for a couple months now

Networks

Well then squelching is the best way to go I suppose rather than having to ban 90+ to finally kill all the guys keys and accounts...

Kp

Quote from: Networks on February 13, 2004, 12:47 PMWell then squelching is the best way to go I suppose rather than having to ban 90+ to finally kill all the guys keys and accounts...

No, filtering them automatically by analysis of their behavior is much better than squelching.  It avoids bloating your list if they morph names rapidly, and it's much more reliable than server-side squelches.
[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!

Hamtaro

wouldnt there be ways to make floodbots leave before u got a chance to ban them?  no matter the way you came about catching them.. (squelch, behavior, etc..)

PaiD

Hamtaro,
   If the bot filters it then there is nothing the floodbot can do. The filter wouldnt stop it from flooding the channel but all chat events would be sent to the bot/client and it is up to it to do something with it.

Edited: Typos

Eric

I think that we've all gotten a little dumber by reading these posts.

Conclusion:
- Filter the floodbots by delaying chat input, ignoring multiple EID_TALK's, EID_EMOTE's, EID_JOIN's and EID_LEAVE's that occur in a single datastream or filter any EID_TALK's, EID_EMOTE's, EID_JOIN's and EID_LEAVE's that take place in under a second of the user joining.
- Squelch the user flooding (providing he isn't using proxies)
- A clan channel and /clan private

The following require two things (considering the floodbot is working at proper speed): A super-computer and an unshared OC-13 line.

- Squelch the floodbots
- Ban the floodbots

Lenny

Quote from: LoRd[nK] on February 13, 2004, 10:09 PM
I think that we've all gotten a little dumber by reading these posts.

Conclusion:
- Filter the floodbots by delaying chat input, ignoring multiple EID_TALK's, EID_EMOTE's, EID_JOIN's and EID_LEAVE's that occur in a single datastream or filter any EID_TALK's, EID_EMOTE's, EID_JOIN's and EID_LEAVE's that take place in under a second of the user joining.
- Squelch the user flooding (providing he isn't using proxies)
- A clan channel and /clan private

The following require two things (considering the floodbot is working at proper speed): A super-computer and an unshared OC-13 line.

- Squelch the floodbots
- Ban the floodbots

Personally, to me the most practical solution would be to ignore clumpted EID_TALK's, EID_EMOTE's, EID_JOIN's and EID_LEAVE rather than delaying the chat input to the user.
The Bovine Revolution
Something unimportant

Live Battle.net:

WARNING: The preceding message may have contained content unsuitable for young children.

|