• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Main Menu

D2 Spambots

Started by iago, February 01, 2004, 06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iago

Ugh, there's one that joins games, now.  Somehow, he manages to join every public game I play in, and he can't be squelched because "User is not logged onto battle.net".  

Why hasn't Blizzard banned this account yet? :(
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

j0k3r

Because blizz doesn't care anymore.

A simple method of blocking this (and nobody does it because they are idiots) is to set a level restriction to keep level 1s out (so level restriction = your level - 2).

(NOTE: It's a level 1 character)
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

iago

Ah, that's a good idea.  I'll do that from now on!

Newby

I've seen a level 98, level 67, level 54 join the same game I was in and spam. So really, hope that your level restrictions are good or the game is private.
- Newby

Quote[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

Quote<TehUser> Man, I can't get Xorg to work properly.  This sucks.
<torque> you should probably kill yourself
<TehUser> I think I will.  Thanks, torque.

j0k3r

How long ago was this? I haven't played D2 in 2 days and the only thing I saw before that was a level 1.
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

iago

I saw level 1 only.  But this is hardcore ladder.. maybe on softcore they have better characters?

Crypticflare

iago you play HC Ladder as well? You should hit me up sometime, I've massed quite a bit of fortune on D2, if yo need some lower level items to get your characters going :)

iago

Quote from: Crypticflare on February 02, 2004, 09:52 AM
iago you play HC Ladder as well? You should hit me up sometime, I've massed quite a bit of fortune on D2, if yo need some lower level items to get your characters going :)

That's exactly the thing I try to avoid, I like to do everything for myself.  There's more pride that way, it's more exciting to find a new item and such.  I tend to solo :)

Thanks, though!

Grok

Quote from: iago on February 02, 2004, 12:29 PM

That's exactly the thing I try to avoid, I like to do everything for myself.  There's more pride that way, it's more exciting to find a new item and such.  I tend to solo :)

Thanks, though!

Play team solo.  Or, failing that, Hans Solo.

j0k3r

You still play Cryptic? I recently quit, and I think I'm going to make about $250 off my 'fortune'.

I can't stand to play this game anymore, the retarded realm down bugs, bugged enemies, and somehow I lag in D2 with a radeon9700.
John Vo

Newby

Yeah, the bot was in hardcore ladder on USWest. :)
- Newby

Quote[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

Quote<TehUser> Man, I can't get Xorg to work properly.  This sucks.
<torque> you should probably kill yourself
<TehUser> I think I will.  Thanks, torque.

Skywing

You could write a hack to filter out all messages pertaining to somebody if they are only in the game for a very short period of time, similar to how we filter out floodbot spam in channels.

iago

Quote from: Skywing on February 04, 2004, 11:53 PM
You could write a hack to filter out all messages pertaining to somebody if they are only in the game for a very short period of time, similar to how we filter out floodbot spam in channels.

I was considering doing that.  I don't have any of the functions for 1.1 found, though, and because I rarely play public games, I dont think it's worth the time.  But I still might :)

<Edit> Another option might be to make squelches client-side.

Skywing

Quote from: iago on February 06, 2004, 08:08 AM

I was considering doing that.  I don't have any of the functions for 1.1 found, though, and because I rarely play public games, I dont think it's worth the time.  But I still might :)

Doing that still makes it require manual work from the user to combat automatic spam.  Not good.

iago

Quote from: Skywing on February 10, 2004, 11:20 AM
Quote from: iago on February 06, 2004, 08:08 AM

Doing that still makes it require manual work from the user to combat automatic spam.  Not good.

True, but it's the easiest way.  Plus, all it is is clicking a button.