• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Windows XP vs. 2k

Started by iago, January 09, 2004, 04:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skywing

As has been stated before, there is really not that much of a difference between Windows XP Professional and Windows 2000 Professional once you get them setup (though you'll waste significantly more time configuring Windows XP Professional than Windows 2000 Professional if you don't like all the new settings).

Windows XP has a few new things, like fast user switching and support for kernel debugging over firewire, but other than that and the new GUI stuff there isn't much else different.

Trance

Quote from: DVX on January 28, 2004, 06:15 PMi usually ended up having to reboot every 1-2 days on my 450MHz 128mb ram machine..

It was probably your lack of RAM. Either get more RAM, or get a copy of Windows 2000.  One of my boxes used to have 128mb's with XP Pro, and it got very sluggish after a few days. Then I added more RAM and everything was significantly better.

iago

Quote from: Trance on January 29, 2004, 10:22 AM
Quote from: DVX on January 28, 2004, 06:15 PMi usually ended up having to reboot every 1-2 days on my 450MHz 128mb ram machine..

It was probably your lack of RAM. Either get more RAM, or get a copy of Windows 2000.  One of my boxes used to have 128mb's with XP Pro, and it got very sluggish after a few days. Then I added more RAM and everything was significantly better.

Me too, actually.

Sky - I wouldn't say significantly more time, just a little bit more.  I'd say it's worth it.  Mainly, though, because I DO use firewire networking.
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

DVX

well, i have no need for silly dummy-user settings, so i
don't really care for the little additions that xp adds..  and this new box i am using is 1.3ghz/384mb ram..  but it came with win98, which is why i am deciding win2k or xp..  does win2k support multiple user accounts like xp?  i found that to be very convinient since some people may be using my computer now and then, but mostly the old one since i got this one..  and does win2k not have a lot of support for networking or firewire related stuff or something?

and sky, would you recomend win2k or win xp?

Zakath

Of course Win2k supports multiple user accounts. And I have never had problems with Win2k networking support.

iago, you need to admit you have a problem :)

I've set up both - it does take significantly less time to get Win2k configured to my satisfaction. And on the subject of stability...

[18:45:40] System uptime: 14 days, 2 hours, 24 minutes, and 27 seconds.
Quote from: iago on February 02, 2005, 03:07 PM
Yes, you can't have everybody...contributing to the main source repository.  That would be stupid and create chaos.

Opensource projects...would be dumb.

DVX

awsome;  do you know any good places to purches win2k pro for significantly less than retail ($187.00)...  i guess by that price comparing to win xp pro microsoft doesn't think very highly of win xp to bring it up, or still thinks highly of win2k enough to keep it up there  :P

iago

Quote from: Zakath on January 29, 2004, 05:50 PM
Of course Win2k supports multiple user accounts. And I have never had problems with Win2k networking support.
Win2k supports multiple accounts, but not fast-user-switching, which I would definately be lost without on my main computer.

Quoteiago, you need to admit you have a problem :)
huh?

QuoteI've set up both - it does take significantly less time to get Win2k configured to my satisfaction.
It also boots significantly slower.  I noticed a huge difference when I had 2k on my laptop (1.3ghz, 512 ram) it would take a LONG time to boot, but when I have xp it is much, much faster.

DVX

i've decided to go with win2k.  looking at retail it's basically the same price of $200 as win xp pro.  does anyone know any good places to purchase win2k pro for significantly lower than retail?  you mentioned zakath once if you're "unfortuanate enough to have to pay retail" does this mean you know where to buy microsoft os's for cheaper?

Zakath

No, I own Windows 2000 OEM. It's quite a bit cheaper as a bundled OS. As far as where to buy it, maybe someone else can help you there.
Quote from: iago on February 02, 2005, 03:07 PM
Yes, you can't have everybody...contributing to the main source repository.  That would be stupid and create chaos.

Opensource projects...would be dumb.

Stealth

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=37-102-138&catalog=368&depa=0

Newegg has it for $140.00, free shipping, with "hardware purchase" -- things like $3 IDE cables satisfy this requirement, so you should be in good shape.

Edit: Fixed URL
- Stealth
Author of StealthBot

DVX

does win2k provide the switch user settings "switch user" and "log off" like xp?  i want to beable to switch to another user account without closing my programs like i can in xp, is that so in 2k?

effect

Quote from: Mangix on March 22, 2005, 03:03 AM
i am an expert Stealthbot VBScript. Recognize Bitch.

iago

Quote from: DVX on January 30, 2004, 07:16 PM
does win2k provide the switch user settings "switch user" and "log off" like xp?  i want to beable to switch to another user account without closing my programs like i can in xp, is that so in 2k?

It has log off, but not switch user.  You have to close your programs on 2k.

DVX

Tuberload

Quote from: iago on January 30, 2004, 10:08 PM
Quote from: DVX on January 30, 2004, 07:16 PM

It has log off, but not switch user.  You have to close your programs on 2k.

There isn't any service packs or anything that might add that?
Quote"Pray not for lighter burdens, but for stronger backs." -- Teddy Roosevelt
"Your forefathers have given you freedom, so good luck, see you around, hope you make it" -- Unknown

|