• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Desktop War!

Started by Thing, January 08, 2004, 04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Skywing

An empty desktop is a good desktop.  I never see mine, there's always some fullscreen window blocking it.  I think there might be one or two icons on it, though...

Soul Taker

http://holyknights.xepher.net/soul/SoulDesk.jpg - reduced quality a bit to make it 300kB rather than 700.
Oh and yea, no icons should be on a desktop, uuuugly.

iago

Quote from: Skywing on January 09, 2004, 12:03 PM
An empty desktop is a good desktop.  I never see mine, there's always some fullscreen window blocking it.  I think there might be one or two icons on it, though...

I use windowskey-d if I need to get to my desktop.
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Skywing

Quote from: iago on January 09, 2004, 04:10 PM

I use windowskey-d if I need to get to my desktop.
Yes, but it's (usually) more convenient to put things in the start menu than the desktop.  Besides, winkey-d and show desktop typically screw up the order of windows when restoring them, which is fairly annoying when you have lots of things open.

Thing

I am so used to running 4 desktops that I would find it difficult to be restrained to only one.
I use #4 for running a variety of monitoring software which stay open all the time.
I use #3 for downloads.  I might initiate a download in #1 or #2 but a quick clickety click and I can send that window to #3 and get it out of my way.
#2 and #1 I use for regular stuff and I switch easily between the two.

I like to have an interesting wallpaper because I run my terminals with transparency.  It's nice having a pretty face looking at me from behind the windows. :P

[edit] XMMS is set to run on all desktops. :)
That sucking sound you hear is my bandwidth.

iago

Quote from: Thing on January 09, 2004, 05:25 PM
I am so used to running 4 desktops that I would find it difficult to be restrained to only one.
I use #4 for running a variety of monitoring software which stay open all the time.
I use #3 for downloads.  I might initiate a download in #1 or #2 but a quick clickety click and I can send that window to #3 and get it out of my way.
#2 and #1 I use for regular stuff and I switch easily between the two.

I like to have an interesting wallpaper because I run my terminals with transparency.  It's nice having a pretty face looking at me from behind the windows. :P

[edit] XMMS is set to run on all desktops. :)

btw, how do you make terminals translucent like that?

And I agree, if I'm working on code/homework I like to have the extra desktops to quickly switch between reference materials and work and other stuff (chat windows, for example).  

And do you want a picture of me to make your wallpaper?  If you need an extra pretty face, I mean ;)
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Adron

Quote from: Spht on January 09, 2004, 11:07 AM
Edit: Also, people need to use My Documents as a dumping grounds for random things. Your desktop should always be clean!

I like to leave notes on my desktop. Much like in real life.

UserLoser.

Show us your desktop!

Spht

Quote from: UserLoser. on January 09, 2004, 06:29 PM

Show us your desktop!

I seen his workspace a couple years ago (had about 40 visible programs going). I think Skywing's desktop would be pretty boring (like mine).

UserLoser.

Quote from: Spht on January 09, 2004, 06:52 PM
Quote from: UserLoser. on January 09, 2004, 06:29 PM

Show us your desktop!

I seen his workspace a couple years ago (had about 40 visible programs going). I think Skywing's desktop would be pretty boring (like mine).

Now, why would you need so many programs running?

Hitmen

Personally I tend to dump everything on my desktop. And I hate the taskbar, being at the default size is still way too big/annoying.

Zorm

http://zorm.darkexile.com/zormdesktop.png

Normally only see my desktop when I first get on for the day and when I get off. Desktop background changes every couple weeks mostly with pictures from rednova.com.
"Now, gentlemen, let us do something today which the world make talk of hereafter."
- Admiral Lord Collingwood

Yoni

Here's my latest desktop screenshot from a while ago (Spht designed the wallpaper for me):
http://yoni.valhallalegends.com/stuff/DesktopThanksToSpht.jpg

Quote from: Spht on January 09, 2004, 11:07 AM
Also, people need to use My Documents as a dumping grounds for random things. Your desktop should always be clean!
Yes. I do this. But I've learned to dump random things very neatly, makes them easier to spot later.
http://yoni.valhallalegends.com/stuff/MyDocuments.png
My Documents is conveniently located in C:\Misc. (I am very prejudiced against C:\Documents and Settings - it is a good idea, but very horribly implemented. What's the idea of putting not only spaces, but even multiple spaces, in directory names?! Why didn't they just learn from *nix and name it /home?!)

Quote from: Soul Taker on January 09, 2004, 01:53 PM
Oh and yea, no icons should be on a desktop, uuuugly.
Interesting... I will experiment with that idea later.

Quote from: Hitmen on January 09, 2004, 11:07 PM
Personally I tend to dump everything on my desktop. And I hate the taskbar, being at the default size is still way too big/annoying.
Too big?! I think it's too small. I set mine recently (more recently than the screenshot linked in this post) to a height of 3 instead of 2, where 1 height unit is for the Desktop quiclaunch bar and 2 height units are for the tasks. I like it this way so far, it's not obstructive at all (with a 1280x1024 resolution...).

Hitmen

Maybe if I set the resolution higher I wouldn't mind as much, But 1024x768 works for me so far.

[edit]
Yea, at 1280x1024 I wouldn't mind the size at all. But then again a cheap crappy monitor looks horrible at 1280x1024 so I'm not going to keep it.

Hostile

ya skys desktop is super boring. I mean I don't prefere to make mine half as sexy as I could (like Soul Takers, which is nice btw :p) but I like something there, and the second and third that blizzard made for wow wallpapers I like the most. Other then that I just use normal('Classic') windows theme and other standard icons to what I feel is a good balance between pleasant and productive.
- Hostile is sexy.

|