• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Some D2 Questions

Started by iago, December 30, 2003, 03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iago

You can't possibly use google hits as an argument!  You denied that everybody in diablo 2 uses that word as evidence, saying they're ignorant, but then you present the fact that most people on the rest of the internet do it your way!  Why can't they also be ignorant?
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Adron

Quote from: iago on January 04, 2004, 01:59 AM
You can't possibly use google hits as an argument!  You denied that everybody in diablo 2 uses that word as evidence, saying they're ignorant, but then you present the fact that most people on the rest of the internet do it your way!  Why can't they also be ignorant?

Google hits was brought up as an argument against the comment that 100% of the people on b.net say leach. I find it unlikely that all those hits come from people who don't use b.net, considering that several mentioned b.net things.

For ignorance, see the reference to Blizzard's site describing the attributes of weapons, and also look up the words "leach" and "leech" at www.webster.com.

The 9% who use "leach" are most probably ignorant of the facts that "leech" is the word used by the majority (Google 91%), the word used by Blizzard (http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/magic/suf.shtml) and the main word according to the dictionary (http://www.webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=leach).

j0k3r

Quote from: j0k3r on January 03, 2004, 04:44 PM
Anyways, both refer to diablo 2, obviously some people say it one way, others say it the other, and depending on the context both can be right. I say 'leach' because that is how I see it spelled everytime I see someone talking about it in game, and it to 'leach a liquid'(blood) is logical to me.
Like I said 4 or 5 posts ago, it seems more logical(maybe just to me) that the weapon would leach blood from the target. I use dictionary.com for all of my definitions, and according to their definition it is right.
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

Adron

Quote from: j0k3r on January 04, 2004, 06:54 AM
Like I said 4 or 5 posts ago, it seems more logical(maybe just to me) that the weapon would leach blood from the target. I use dictionary.com for all of my definitions, and according to their definition it is right.

According to dictionary.com, leach means:

leach    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (lch)
v. leached, leach·ing, leach·es
v. tr.
To remove soluble or other constituents from by the action of a percolating liquid.
To empty; drain: "a world leached of pleasure, voided of meaning" (Marilynne Robinson).

v. intr.
To be dissolved or passed out by a percolating liquid.

n.
The act or process of leaching.
A porous, perforated, or sievelike vessel that holds material to be leached.
The substance through which a liquid is leached.

That is, to remove a substance from a liquid by having it pass through a porous material or filter. This doesn't sound like it would apply at all to a life stealing weapon?

On the other hand, leech (at dictionary.com) is defined as:

leech1    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (lch)
n.
Any of various chiefly aquatic bloodsucking or carnivorous annelid worms of the class Hirudinea, of which one species (Hirudo medicinalis) was formerly used by physicians to bleed patients and is now sometimes used as a temporary aid to circulation during surgical reattachment of a body part.
One that preys on or clings to another; a parasite.
Archaic. A physician.

v. leeched, leech·ing, leech·es
v. tr.
To bleed with leeches.
To drain the essence or exhaust the resources of.

v. intr.
To attach oneself to another in the manner of a leech.

Parasite on? Prey on? Drain the essence of? Exhaust the resources of? Bleed? Doesn't this sound much more like a life stealing weapon?

edit: spleling

j0k3r

Quote from: Adron on January 04, 2004, 01:17 PM
remove a substance from a liquid by having it pass through a porous material or filter. This doesn't sound like it would apply at all to a life stealing weapon?
Porous material or filter, sounds like skin to me.

Parasite on? Prey on? Drain the essence of? Exhaust the resources of? Bleed? Doesn't this sound much more like a life stealing weapon?
No, it sounds alot more like you're hitting/killing something. Bleed is another aspect of diablo2 too.

edit: spleling
Hope that was a joke :P
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

Adron

Quote from: j0k3r on January 04, 2004, 02:13 PM
remove a substance from a liquid by having it pass through a porous material or filter. This doesn't sound like it would apply at all to a life stealing weapon?
Porous material or filter, sounds like skin to me.

In that case, this would be having life stay inside the monster? Whatever substance you're extracting from the liquid stays in the filter...

j0k3r

What? The definition says it passes through a porous material or filter, correct me if I'm wrong but skin has pores.
John Vo

Adron

Quote from: j0k3r on January 04, 2004, 09:02 PM
What? The definition says it passes through a porous material or filter, correct me if I'm wrong but skin has pores.

It says you pass a liquid through a porous material or filter to extract something that can't pass through the porous material or filter.

Grok

|