• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Owen's Hack for ie

Started by quasi-modo, December 20, 2003, 05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grok

Quote from: peofeoknight on December 22, 2003, 02:31 AM
I think this thread is about done.

Well, considering 16 of the 30 first messages are your own, including a string of 5 out of 6 replies in  a row, you've hopefully said your opinion.  Now what's wrong with letting other people talk about it if they want?

quasi-modo

pffft. I am just trying to explain why someone would use a hack over a detect. There only 3 values the need to be sent to ie that are different from other browsers. Why add code to every page to do a detect when you can add a few lines to the css.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

dxoigmn

Quote from: peofeoknight on December 22, 2003, 09:18 AM
pffft. I am just trying to explain why someone would use a hack over a detect. There only 3 values the need to be sent to ie that are different from other browsers. Why add code to every page to do a detect when you can add a few lines to the css.

Yes and if you setup your website correctly, then it wouldn't be so much of a problem to "add code to every page."  If you're so concerned with bandwidth (which you seem to be, as it was one of your arguments) then sending those extra how-many-ever bytes of hacked css code is wasted on non-IE clients.  Checking the type of browser the user is using is hardly a strain on the server, especially since your hack is tailored towards one specific browser.

Banana fanna fo fanna

Not to mention that you can have the browser select the right one for you.

quasi-modo

Quote from: St0rm.iD on December 22, 2003, 02:25 PM
What? That was what I am doing with this hack. Plus it is more of a strain to run code on top of every page then to send some extra lines out one time tha twill work on all secondary pages. Then there is the fact that that is just more code on every page. I will be includeing the whole layout and then importing the java script and css, so I only have a tiny bit of code on each page to deal with to keep organized. If you guys want to just keep argueing jus tot argue thats fine, but I am done, this is getting repetative. These hacks work, I have been using css hacks for a while and am very satisfied witht their results. Also If you would bother to validate my pages and look at my reports and the links I would post you guys would see that my pages are valid and very accessable, I resent comments that they are not. If I did not care about other browsers and validation why would I post things to accomplish this in the first place. I posted this thinking that someone else could benefit from this but it seems like you guys are too stuck inside of a table based mind set to see a css solution. Oh well, I have said things over and over and I just do not want to say it again.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

dxoigmn

Quote from: peofeoknight on December 22, 2003, 03:07 PM
Quote from: St0rm.iD on December 22, 2003, 02:25 PM
What? That was what I am doing with this hack. Plus it is more of a strain to run code on top of every page then to send some extra lines out one time tha twill work on all secondary pages. Then there is the fact that that is just more code on every page. I will be includeing the whole layout and then importing the java script and css, so I only have a tiny bit of code on each page to deal with to keep organized. If you guys want to just keep argueing jus tot argue thats fine, but I am done, this is getting repetative. These hacks work, I have been using css hacks for a while and am very satisfied witht their results. Also If you would bother to validate my pages and look at my reports and the links I would post you guys would see that my pages are valid and very accessable, I resent comments that they are not. If I did not care about other browsers and validation why would I post things to accomplish this in the first place. I posted this thinking that someone else could benefit from this but it seems like you guys are too stuck inside of a table based mind set to see a css solution. Oh well, I have said things over and over and I just do not want to say it again.

I am hardly "stuck inside of a table based mind set."  I just have a problem with "hacks" to make things work when there are standard ways.

quasi-modo

well watever method floats your boat then.
WAR EAGLE!

Grok

I fixed the title for you.

quasi-modo

lol... well this thread got rly repetative and everything has been said so i think its about dead.
WAR EAGLE!

|