• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Standalone .exe's?

Started by iago, December 06, 2003, 04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iago

Quote from: Hostile on December 08, 2003, 05:57 PM
Quote from: St0rm.iD on December 08, 2003, 08:16 AM
1) I'm pretty sure they don't have the VM
2) Clicking a class file won't do anything, however, an executable JAR would do something if the VM is installed.

I already said that, and almost any computer with a webbrowser has the Java VM. iago, I think you should just consider some sort of executable solution(.jar or .exe) or some more inconvienent alternative, like an applet.

I AM considering an executable solution, .exe in particular.
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Hostile

Quote from: St0rm.iD on December 08, 2003, 07:01 PM
Um no. The Java VM you're talking about works for Java 1.1...and I don't think they usually support standalone JARs or apps, either.

Well, prove it. I'm not sure where exactly they're bundling the Java VM and RTE so if you have somewhere with this info please share~. Also, I remember sky mentioning that they stopped bundling the Java VM with Internet Explorer, this was somewhat recent (6.0) but not sure how thats all going about.
- Hostile is sexy.

j0k3r

Quote from: Hostile on December 09, 2003, 12:30 AM
Um no. The Java VM you're talking about works for Java 1.1...and I don't think they usually support standalone JARs or apps, either.

Well, prove it. I'm not sure where exactly they're bundling the Java VM and RTE so if you have somewhere with this info please share~. Also, I remember sky mentioning that they stopped bundling the Java VM with Internet Explorer, this was somewhat recent (6.0) but not sure how thats all going about.
Does it even matter? You can download and it install it for free and with no hassle (once a java applet tries to be executed and you don't have VM, it will install from the website, or atleast at school it does).
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

SNiFFeR

We just got these books in, the name of the books are Java™ Software solutions for the AP Computer Science.

Banana fanna fo fanna

Quote from: j0k3r on December 09, 2003, 06:12 AM
Quote from: Hostile on December 09, 2003, 12:30 AM

Does it even matter? You can download and it install it for free and with no hassle (once a java applet tries to be executed and you don't have VM, it will install from the website, or atleast at school it does).

Granny can't do this, and 56k'ers don't want to wait.

j0k3r

56k'ers don't matter and I don't see what use a granny has for Java.
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

iago

Maybe she wants to use a cookbook, and are you saying that spht and other people who don't live in areas with highspeed don't matter?

j0k3r

Quote from: iago on December 09, 2003, 03:26 PM
Maybe she wants to use a cookbook, and are you saying that spht and other people who don't live in areas with highspeed don't matter?
No, I'm saying that it doesn't matter if it takes forever for them (not speaking from their point of view ofcourse), you download it once and you're good to go, so if you have 56k might as well just put up with it cause nothing is going to change (if you can't get 56k).

The ones who don't matter are the AOL'ers in major cities who whine about 56k but don't do anything about it.

Screw the grandma, she falls into either category and doesn't deserve her own, and if she has 56k, it's her own choice (or not) to live with it.
John Vo

Banana fanna fo fanna

Or you just can't admit defeat.

j0k3r

STOP MAKING FUN OF ME
* j0k3r runs

Anyways, iago you find a way to do it yet?
John Vo

iago

Quote from: j0k3r on December 09, 2003, 06:02 PM
STOP MAKING FUN OF ME
* j0k3r runs

Anyways, iago you find a way to do it yet?

No, and I haven't been trying.  Too much work to do right now for school and such.

Hostile

j0k3r... Ok, as flawless as your idea is and I sure to some aspect I know this is also fine, thats just about the worse point of view you could have as far as its concerned. Yes, I know where to download it and install it in less then a minute but I don't think everyone else can do the same, and its quite pointless to expect them to know how to either. I can honestly say I went through a stage where I thought I was a god because I knew more then almost everyone I would run into in real life about computers, but this doesnt last very long. As soon as you figure out that no matter how much you know in your own little world, you tend to lose that as soon as someone comes along talking about something you have no clue about  :P Grandma might not know how use a computer, but she could probably kick your ass in whatever she did in her time ;)
- Hostile is sexy.

j0k3r

That's because she's been doing it for 50-someodd years...

I thought the VM download automatically popped up when an applet tries to run and you don't have VM installed.
John Vo

Dark-Feanor

There are many applications on the market that do this for you. Compilers to stand alone .exes. Some of them work for one operating system (so you would have to get a different compiler for each OS N.B. no source change required) and some of them work for all, but they can burna  hole in your wallet.
- Feanor[xL]
clan exile
Firebot
iago: "caps lock is like cruise control for cool"

hismajesty

Quote from: DaRk-FeAnOr on December 10, 2003, 09:31 PM
There are many applications on the market that do this for you. Compilers to stand alone .exes. Some of them work for one operating system (so you would have to get a different compiler for each OS N.B. no source change required) and some of them work for all, but they can burna  hole in your wallet.

That's what pirates are for :P

|