• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

checksum (0x07 CLIENT_AUTHREQ1)

Started by Julas, November 30, 2003, 05:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adron

Quote from: dizzy on April 18, 2004, 12:29 PM
Considering this how do you feel about using something you are almost sure its like in their codes ?

The names were obtained from debug outputs in a particular build of one of the dlls. I don't think those outputs are unique enough to have copyrightable value - they are just definitions.

Arta

My project supervisor at university thinks that they are copyrightable enough to cause problems. If you're doing anything open source, it'd be wise not to use them, which probably explains bnetd's names.

Skywing

Quote from: dizzy on April 18, 2004, 12:29 PM
OK, what I mean to say is that doing a sed 's@CLIENT_AUTHREQ1@SID_something@' in pvpgn sources is very easy but I need to know what are the legal implications of using some code constants as from Blizzard's sources ? In their suit against bnetd they claim the modified SHA-1 hash was "stolen" from their codes, not reversed. Considering this how do you feel about using something you are almost sure its like in their codes ?
Actually, you can find them by running any program that locates strings in binary files, like strings.  You don't need to disassemble it or anything that would break their (questionable) EULA.

As a side note, I think that some of the differences are due to PvPGN's apparent goal of implementing the Battle.net protocol in such a way that most client features work the same to end users.  As a result, not all things are correctly implemented because the Blizzard clients do not necessarily require a complete implementation.