• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Tell us now!

Started by Thing, November 22, 2003, 05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Adron

Quote from: Falcon[anti-yL] on January 05, 2005, 10:12 PM
My break is over, school starts tomorrow, its kind of retarded going back on a thursday though.

Tomorrow is a holiday, The 13th Day!

iago

I started university yesterday.  First half of fourth year.  My classes own.

1) Philosophy of Language -- 11 people, awesome prof, 3 short assignments worth 33% each.
2) Stats 1 -- 170 people, I got to stand because the room's too small, it's hot and smelly and is full of first year children.  I'll have to get there early from now on, and not wander into the wrong room.
3) Machine Learning -- The prof is amazing, although he can't work the projection thing.  Small class, and there's only one person in it who I wouldn't consider a friend (simply because I don't know him)
4) Computer Security -- I'll get back to you on that, it's this morning :)
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

hismajesty

ew@1:170 student teacher ratio. That's one thing I'm not looking forward to about college.

dxoigmn

Quote from: iago on January 06, 2005, 06:52 AM
I started university yesterday.  First half of fourth year.  My classes own.

Same, but didn't bother going to classes.  Damn jet lag.  Alas, I only have 2 classes.

1) COSC 68 - Principles Programming of Languages (M W F 12:30-1:35)
2) NAS 30 - Perspectives in American Indian Studies (M W F 10:00 - 11:05)

Good stuff. I wasn't going to be on this term, but I decided to go east for some snowboard and 2 classes :P.  And this will put me ahead in my major.  Double majors == whorable.

iago

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on January 06, 2005, 08:25 AM
ew@1:170 student teacher ratio. That's one thing I'm not looking forward to about college.

In the crappy departments / first year courses, it's like that.  But in real departments and later years, it's not.

The problem is that Stats is a requirement for just about every degree, so almost everybody has to go through it.

My other classes are about 11, 15, and 40.  Pretty small, considering.

Adron

There's nothing wrong with 1:170 for lectures. Better to have the one best teacher instruct everyone than to have him teach others who will then try to forward the information to the students!

K

Quote from: Adron on January 06, 2005, 12:19 PM
There's nothing wrong with 1:170 for lectures. Better to have the one best teacher instruct everyone than to have him teach others who will then try to forward the information to the students!

Righto.  In any big (or even medium/small) lecture class I've had, we've also had a smaller recitation section which is taught by a TA.  The recitation allows people to get clarification on topics and have more in-depth discussions which would be impossible in a large lecture setting.

Anyway, my schedual, even though classes don't start until monday and I'm still out of town:

CSCI-3753-010 Operating Systems TR
CSCI-3753-013 Recitation W
ECEN-3100-010 Digital Logic MWF
ECEN-3100-014 Lab TR
MATH-3130-002 Linear Algebra MWF
PHYS-1140-200 Experimental Physics F
PHYS-1140-227 Lab T

hismajesty

I got my braces off. :D

iago

Quote from: Adron on January 06, 2005, 12:19 PM

They also have videos on the material we learn, and there's TA's around in the "Stats lab" during most school hours.

Another thing Iforgot to mention, I'm also marking this term for 74.216 - Programming Practices.  For most students, it's their first course in "C" after being trained on "Java", so it's an interesting course to mark

hismajesty

My school raised over 1,000 dollars to go to the Red Cross Tsunami fund. The fundraiser ended today, we didn't sell stuff or anything just kids donated money during lunch and stuff. Sophmores donated the most (go us!) followed by seniors, juniors, and then freshmen.

When I was donating today, one of the freshmen collectors offered to give me a hug in exchange for me supporting the freshmen class. Since sophmores won by a landslide (over $100) and we don't really get anything for winning, I kinda wish I had donated to the freshmen. :P

iago

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on January 07, 2005, 01:59 PM
My school raised over 1,000 dollars to go to the Red Cross Tsunami fund. The fundraiser ended today, we didn't sell stuff or anything just kids donated money during lunch and stuff. Sophmores donated the most (go us!) followed by seniors, juniors, and then freshmen.

When I was donating today, one of the freshmen collectors offered to give me a hug in exchange for me supporting the freshmen class. Since sophmores won by a landslide (over $100) and we don't really get anything for winning, I kinda wish I had donated to the freshmen. :P

Why don't americans call grades what they actually are (9, 10, 11, 12, or S1, S2, S3, S4) like in Canada? The whole having 4 different unrelated names is confusing :(

Falcon[anti-yL]

Thats like saying why don't Americans use the metric system :P

hismajesty

Quote from: iago on January 07, 2005, 02:54 PM
Why don't americans call grades what they actually are (9, 10, 11, 12, or S1, S2, S3, S4) like in Canada? The whole having 4 different unrelated names is confusing :(

I use 1-12 and generally refer to freshmen-senior for college. I think it's dumb to do it in highschool but everyone says it, I guess it makes them feel grown up or something.

iago

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on January 07, 2005, 04:24 PM
Quote from: iago on January 07, 2005, 02:54 PM

I use 1-12 and generally refer to freshmen-senior for college. I think it's dumb to do it in highschool but everyone says it, I guess it makes them feel grown up or something.

I don't even hear that used on college/university here.  I hear "Freshmen", but only as a derogatory term.  Here I call it "first year", "second year", etc.  Right now, for instance, I'm in "The first half of fourth year".

dxoigmn

Quote from: iago on January 07, 2005, 06:35 PM
I don't even hear that used on college/university here.  I hear "Freshmen", but only as a derogatory term.  Here I call it "first year", "second year", etc.  Right now, for instance, I'm in "The first half of fourth year".

Same, except we go by our graduating year.  So I would be an 07 and someone graduating this year would be an 05.  Of course, this gets icky when people take longer to graduate than expected.  There are a few 04s still here :P

|