• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Tell us now!

Started by Thing, November 22, 2003, 05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

hismajesty

I was judging at a Middle School Forensics tournament yesterday, and one of the speeches a kid gave was on "Opurtunity" (yes that's exactly how he spelled it, iirc.) Anyway, he was saying how school is the best oppurtunity one gets in their life. Just looking at him though, I think he wasn't all there mentally. He also came in normal clothes to this thing, which he shouldn't do. Oh well - he still got second because he kept good eye contact with me and didn't read his speech word for word like the guy that got 3rd did.

Adron

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on April 08, 2005, 07:28 AM
Middle School Forensics

Oooh, forensics isn't all about studying dead bodies!

I learn more English each day!

iago

Quote from: Adron on April 08, 2005, 10:08 AM
Middle School Forensics

I did some "computer forensics" at my old job (and will at my new job, which happens to be the same job).  Basically, when somebody was naughty we eventually ended up with thier harddrive and, depending on the case, we had to figure out what they did (trying to hack), what was done to them (419 scam), etc. (And no, I can't elaborate)
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Blaze

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on April 08, 2005, 07:14 AM
Why do you have half days?
Our teachers go for courses to better teach us IIRC.
Mitosis: Haha, Im great arent I!
hismajesty[yL]: No

Blaze

I have a dentist appointment on Thursday. :)

hismajesty

Quote from: Adron on April 08, 2005, 10:08 AM
Middle School Forensics

Do you know what it is? I don't mind explaining it.

When I did it in middle school I joined because I thought it was Forensic Science, but it wasn't so I quit. I ended up taking Forensic Science in a summer program thing done through the city for "gifted" students - Junior University. It was fun.

Oddly, one of the guys I judged said that's why he joined too. Heh.

Hmm.

Adron

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on April 08, 2005, 12:36 PM
Do you know what it is? I don't mind explaining it.

I quickly looked it up at www.webster.com when my current conception of forensics didn't match the context. Thanks though :)

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on April 08, 2005, 12:36 PM
When I did it in middle school I joined because I thought it was Forensic Science, but it wasn't so I quit. I ended up taking Forensic Science in a summer program thing done through the city for "gifted" students - Junior University. It was fun.

Oddly, one of the guys I judged said that's why he joined too. Heh.

Hmm.

Hehe, I guess that warms me. I'm not the only one who doesn't always know the right meaning of forensics :P

hismajesty

I was in sixth grade though! :P

Anyway, the webster definiton isn't exactly right. It's basically a sport, in a sense, like Debate only it's more public speaking. There's story telling, poetry, skits, etc. The two categories I judged were persuasive skits the kids wrote and the other was where they drew a current event/political question from a hat and had to usemagazines/newspapers from the past 60 days to write a speech on the topic in 30 minutes.

Mitosis

First Rugby game of the season on Thursday, we Tigers are gunna kick ass!

CrAz3D

Got my laptop...battery is a POS.  Maybe I'll have to charge/use it a few times then it will last longer than an hour or so.   I LOVE the monitor on it...WXGA (w/e that means)
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

hismajesty

QuoteWXGA

Short for Wide XGA, WXGA is a video resolution that supports a max resolution of 1366 horizontal pixels by 768 vertical pixels.

CrAz3D

K, I knew the W part, just not the XGAness of it
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).

shout

I went to take the ACTs today. So, I got up, took a shower, grabbed the admission ticket, my calculator, and 3 pencils, and left my house. I got to the school at 7:15 (the test started at 8:00), so I talked to the students until about 7:50. I went in, and realize that I brought the ass-end of the ticket! So I could not take the test. :'(

Blaze

I bought a scanner.

CrAz3D

Quote from: Shout on April 09, 2005, 08:37 PM
I went to take the ACTs today. So, I got up, took a shower, grabbed the admission ticket, my calculator, and 3 pencils, and left my house. I got to the school at 7:15 (the test started at 8:00), so I talked to the students until about 7:50. I went in, and realize that I brought the ass-end of the ticket! So I could not take the test. :'(
They let us take the tests if our name was on the paper & we didn't have a ticket, you had to do something later on though
(ré-bun-dance)

|