• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Main Menu

Diablo II!

Started by Probe, November 20, 2003, 01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j0k3r

QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

iago

Quote from: Adron on March 07, 2004, 08:43 PM
What's the drawback of ladder?

There isn't one.  Unless you count that pre-1.1 characters can't play on the ladder, so as of 1.1 everybody had to make new characters.  But I don't mind, starting fresh was fun.
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Adron

Quote from: iago on March 08, 2004, 09:22 AM
There isn't one.  Unless you count that pre-1.1 characters can't play on the ladder, so as of 1.1 everybody had to make new characters.  But I don't mind, starting fresh was fun.

And the characters aren't automatically reset at some point in time or something? Maybe they are turned into regular characters at the end of a ladder season?

iago

Quote from: Adron on March 08, 2004, 11:45 AM

And the characters aren't automatically reset at some point in time or something? Maybe they are turned into regular characters at the end of a ladder season?

That would anger a lot of people, so probably not.  

The reason for the "ladder" play is that 1.1 (tried) to eliminate duping and hacking, and they wanted people to have fresh characters, so they added another mode of play so people can play without worrying about hacking going on.

Hitmen

Quote from: iago on March 08, 2004, 12:49 PM
Quote from: Adron on March 08, 2004, 11:45 AM

That would anger a lot of people, so probably not.  

The reason for the "ladder" play is that 1.1 (tried) to eliminate duping and hacking, and they wanted people to have fresh characters, so they added another mode of play so people can play without worrying about hacking going on.

Whenever blizzard decides to end the ladder season, yes, the charactes will be turned into non-ladder characters and the ladder will be fresh again. I remember seeing this asked many many times on the battle.net forums.

iago

hmm, that's going to be really horrible, then.  At least the ladder-specific items will be extremely valuable...

j0k3r

Not horrible, good. The point of ladder is to be in competition, and already I'm seem people with the most elite gear possible on every character, but no 99s yet (hardcore useast ladder), so there is SOMETHING left but not alot. Once it resets everyone will be equal again and the race will start over.

I personally like the idea because it means that ladder items on ebay go back up in value.
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

muert0

Quoteiago: That would anger a lot of people, so probably not.
When has a patch came out for diablo ii that didnt piss the majority of the people off. I still remember when they ruined hammerdins.
To lazy for slackware.

Skywing

Quote from: crashtestdummy on March 08, 2004, 03:20 PM
When has a patch came out for diablo ii that didnt piss the majority of the people off. I still remember when they ruined hammerdins.
I wonder how you determine whether the majority of Diablo II users dislike it?

muert0

Blah sitting in OTS listening to all the kids bitch about it, different forums, and stuff of that nature. But, I didn't go run any polls or anything so I have no proof.
The majority of them pissed me off, because it would ruin my setup on most of my characters.
To lazy for slackware.

iago

Quote from: crashtestdummy on March 08, 2004, 03:20 PM

They ruined hammerdins for a couple days then changed it back, didn't they?

j0k3r

Naw they sucked in 1.09, now they kick ass again.

Patches don't piss people off, it's the content change that pisses people off. Even then, they're not pissed about the whole thing, just 1 or 2 things they weren't expecting, I'm sure alot of them were overjoyed to see the patch being downloaded (and complained about it not being there for months in advance).
John Vo

muert0

HAmmerdins are good again? Makes me wanna reinstall windows... sorta.
To lazy for slackware.

Adron

People complain at every change. People have been abusing abusable things, and when they can no longer abuse, they're unhappy.

Obviously, everyone will go for the one single path that is unbalancedly best, and when Blizzard does something about balancing, relatively increasing monster toughness and the efficiency of other builds, people will complain.

j0k3r

Quote from: Adron on March 09, 2004, 04:46 AM
Obviously, everyone will go for the one single path that is unbalancedly best, and when Blizzard does something about balancing, relatively increasing monster toughness and the efficiency of other builds, people will complain.
And yet, before they balance it people complain about it being too easy, and after they balance it they tell they're friends how happy they are about...
John Vo

|